* book "Le langage Caml"
@ 2009-07-20  9:06 Xavier Leroy
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2009-07-20  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

A few months ago, there was a discussion on this list about
"Le langage Caml", an early book on Caml (Light) programming written
by Pierre Weis and I.  The book was out of print, but the publisher,
Dunod Éditions, graciously agreed to relinquish its rights and give
them back to the authors.

Pierre and I are therefore happy to announce that the full text of the
book (2nd edition) is now available freely:

    http://caml.inria.fr/pub/distrib/books/llc.pdf

There was a companion book, "Manuel de référence du langage Caml",
which is the French translation of the Caml Light 0.7 reference
manual.  For completeness, we also made it available:

   http://caml.inria.fr/pub/distrib/books/manuel-cl.pdf

Both texts are distributed under the Creative Commons BY-NC-SA
license.

Enjoy,

- Xavier Leroy

* Re: [Caml-list] book "Le langage Caml"
@ 2009-07-20 10:57 ` Gregory BELLIER
From: Gregory BELLIER @ 2009-07-20 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Leroy; +Cc: Caml List

Wonderful announcement !

This is a good news ! Thank you Dunod Éditions.
I guess those links will be easily accessible from the website from now on.

Grégory.

@ 2009-07-20 13:21 ` blue storm
From: blue storm @ 2009-07-20 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Leroy; +Cc: Caml List

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 11:06 AM, Xavier Leroy<Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr> wrote:
> A few months ago, there was a discussion on this list about
> "Le langage Caml", an early book on Caml (Light) programming written
> by Pierre Weis and I.  The book was out of print, but the publisher,
> Dunod Éditions, graciously agreed to relinquish its rights and give
> them back to the authors.
>
> Pierre and I are therefore happy to announce that the full text of the
> book (2nd edition) is now available freely:
>
>   http://caml.inria.fr/pub/distrib/books/llc.pdf
>
> There was a companion book, "Manuel de référence du langage Caml",
> which is the French translation of the Caml Light 0.7 reference
> manual.  For completeness, we also made it available:
>
>  http://caml.inria.fr/pub/distrib/books/manuel-cl.pdf
>
> Both texts are distributed under the Creative Commons BY-NC-SA
> license.
>
> Enjoy,
>
> - Xavier Leroy

That's great. This book is still, in my opinion, the best introduction
to Caml for programming beginners.

When we discussed the matter a few months ago [1], there was an
interest in an english translation, or an update to Objective Caml. A
translation would be a huge undertaking, but I suspect that updating
the book to Objective Caml should not be so difficult, and I would be
happy to collaborate to such an effort.

Is there a possibility to get the document in an editable format ?

[1] archive : http://groups.google.com/group/fa.caml/browse_thread/thread/acbd0dfaec8f1e8e/8884d70558fa8ea2?lnk=gst&q=LLC+book#8884d70558fa8ea2

* Re: [Caml-list] book "Le langage Caml"
@ 2009-08-06  7:42 ` Zorg 421
From: Zorg 421 @ 2009-08-06  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Great ! I don't need to steel it from my local technical library anymore !

;-)

Thanks.

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 11:06 AM, Xavier Leroy<Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr> wrote:
> A few months ago, there was a discussion on this list about
> "Le langage Caml", an early book on Caml (Light) programming written
> by Pierre Weis and I.  The book was out of print, but the publisher,
> Dunod Éditions, graciously agreed to relinquish its rights and give
> them back to the authors.
>
> Pierre and I are therefore happy to announce that the full text of the
> book (2nd edition) is now available freely:
>
>   http://caml.inria.fr/pub/distrib/books/llc.pdf
>
> There was a companion book, "Manuel de référence du langage Caml",
> which is the French translation of the Caml Light 0.7 reference
> manual.  For completeness, we also made it available:
>
>  http://caml.inria.fr/pub/distrib/books/manuel-cl.pdf
>
> Both texts are distributed under the Creative Commons BY-NC-SA
> license.
>
> Enjoy,
>
> - Xavier Leroy

* Re: book "Le langage Caml"
@ 2009-07-21 15:44 Olivier Pérès
From: Olivier Pérès @ 2009-07-21 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

    That's great news, thanks !

    Bug report : page 206, "ces exemples sont disponibles sur le Web à
l'adresse suivante : http://caml.inria.fr/Examples/."

    This URL no longer exists on the server (error 404).

    Olivier.