From: Edgar Friendly <thelema314@gmail.com>
To: Andre Nathan <andre@digirati.com.br>
Cc: caml-list@yquem.inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Conditional compilation
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 22:37:34 -0400	[thread overview]

Andre Nathan wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-08-17 at 22:00 -0400, Edgar Friendly wrote:
>> Is there a better way to do this?  The path I'm following is looking
>> very byzantine compared to C's [-DFOO] + [#ifdef FOO].
>
> In ospec I use
>
>   -pp "camlp4o Camlp4MacroParser.cmo -D FOO"
>
> which can then be tested in the code with
>
> IFDEF FOO THEN
> END
>

> HTH,
> Andre

It does help - I'd not considered Camlp4MacroParser for the job,
thinking that optcomp would have a good way to do exactly what its name
says - optional compilation.

I'm starting to think that optcomp is just a mismatch for what I'm
trying to do, and I'm trying to use the wrong tool for the job.  That
said, I don't think it's the best solution (especially with already long
compile times for the project) to use both optcomp and
Camlp4MacroParser, so I guess I should figure out how to do
	#if ocaml_version < (3, 11)
in Camlp4MacroParser.  I guess autoconf might be of some help here,
although I don't see an easy way to to pass text from an
autoconf-created Makefile through ocamlbuild into only some files' [-pp]
commands.  I think myocamlbuild.ml might be the key, maybe autoconf can
produce it as well as Makefile.

E.