From: Florian Hars <florian@hars.de>
To: Aaron Bohannon <bohannon@cis.upenn.edu>
Cc: caml-list@yquem.inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Gc.compact surprisingly helpful
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 20:31:42 +0100	[thread overview]

Aaron Bohannon schrieb:
> To my very pleasant surprise, I found the throughput *increased* by about 2%!!
> [...] utterly defying my GC intuition.

Maybe you stay in L3 cache with the more compact heap, what is your resident set
size with and without the additional compactions? Performance on modern
processors is a riddle inside an enigma (someone once reported improved
performance after removing the -unsafe compile option, which has the single
function of making the code faster by removing array bounds checks).

- Florian
--
But our moral language is fragmented; our contemporaries reject the Kantian
hunch that choosing those things most admirable and plausible as ends in