* Bytecode run on AIX - "unknown C primitive" error
@ 2010-01-19 20:31 Dawid Toton
From: Dawid Toton @ 2010-01-19 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I have installed part of this OCaml port
http://home.arcor.de/chr_bauer/ocaml-aix.html
on a computer running on AIX. It seems that everything built correctly
except ocamlopt. So I have ocamlrun and standard library and this should
be enough for bytecode to run.

I have to build the bytecode on a different machine (because it's
difficult to do on AIX). I believe this shouldn't induce any problems.

Trivial bytecode executes correctly regardless where it is created.

I set LIBPATH to point to ocaml/stublibs and try running some bytecode
uning Unix module. This results in:
Fatal error: unknown C primitive `unix_getsockopt_bool'

If I compile simple "let _ = Unix.sleep 1" on the target machine, I get
bytecode that causes ocamlrun to crash with:
Illegal instruction (core dumped)

Does anybody have an idea for workaround? Some understanding what's
going on?

I'm using AIX 5.3

Dawid

* [Caml-list] Ocaml on AIX
@ 2004-06-29 12:40 Thomas Fischbacher
From: Thomas Fischbacher @ 2004-06-29 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Dear OCaml hackers,

we are about to do an exact symbolic calculation of enormous size (it
could even be the largest one performed by mankind so far, I don't know)
which comes from superstring theory. We do this in Ocaml, using as much
of the algebraic structure as possible, and hence implemented quite many
algorithmic tricks in the code which give us a performance boost of a
factor of about 300 over the already highly optimized but more generic
"symbol cruncher" FORM term manipulation program.

We might have an opportunity to use the supercomputer of a german plasma
physics research institution for this, but this particular machine runs
AIX on PowerPCs, _probably_ with somewhat out-dated software on it, so I
suppose I would have quite a hard time installing an ocaml compiler on it.

Hence, before I write an application for computing resources on that
machine, I'd like to ask if there is anyone out there who could compile
my code for AIX (needs ocaml 2.07.2a and libnums-ocaml 3.07)?

--
regards,               tf@cip.physik.uni-muenchen.de              (o_
 Thomas Fischbacher -  http://www.cip.physik.uni-muenchen.de/~tf  //\