* debugging in toplevel
@ 2010-02-10 21:37 Guillaume Yziquel
From: Guillaume Yziquel @ 2010-02-10 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OCaml List; +Cc: Yoann Padioleau

Hi.

I've been working on Yoann Padioleau's version of ocaml-python bindings.

I unfortunately get the following error:

> yziquel@seldon:~$ ocaml
>         Objective Caml version 3.11.1
>
> # #use "topfind";;
> - : unit = ()
> Findlib has been successfully loaded. Additional directives:
>   #require "package";;      to load a package
>   #list;;                   to list the available packages
>   #camlp4o;;                to load camlp4 (standard syntax)
>   #camlp4r;;                to load camlp4 (revised syntax)
>   #predicates "p,q,...";;   to set these predicates
>   Topfind.reset();;         to force that packages will be reloaded
>   #thread;;                 to enable threads
>
> - : unit = ()
> # #require "python";;
> /usr/lib/ocaml/unix.cma: loaded
> /usr/lib/ocaml/str.cma: loaded
> /usr/lib/ocaml/python: added to search path
> /usr/lib/ocaml/python/pycaml.cma: loaded
> Exception: Invalid_argument "index out of bounds".
> #

How do you debug something like this? ocamldebug and #trace do not seem
to be very useful. What would you recommend doing to debug this toplevel
error?

--
      Guillaume Yziquel
http://yziquel.homelinux.org/

* Re: [Caml-list] debugging in toplevel
@ 2010-02-10 22:37 ` Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2010-02-10 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guillaume.yziquel; +Cc: OCaml List

Am Mittwoch, den 10.02.2010, 22:37 +0100 schrieb Guillaume Yziquel:
> Hi.
>
> I've been working on Yoann Padioleau's version of ocaml-python bindings.
>
> I unfortunately get the following error:
>
> > yziquel@seldon:~$ ocaml
> >         Objective Caml version 3.11.1
> >
> > # #use "topfind";;
> > - : unit = ()
> > Findlib has been successfully loaded. Additional directives:
> >   #require "package";;      to load a package
> >   #list;;                   to list the available packages
> >   #camlp4o;;                to load camlp4 (standard syntax)
> >   #camlp4r;;                to load camlp4 (revised syntax)
> >   #predicates "p,q,...";;   to set these predicates
> >   Topfind.reset();;         to force that packages will be reloaded
> >   #thread;;                 to enable threads
> >
> > - : unit = ()
> > # #require "python";;
> > /usr/lib/ocaml/unix.cma: loaded
> > /usr/lib/ocaml/str.cma: loaded
> > /usr/lib/ocaml/python: added to search path
> > /usr/lib/ocaml/python/pycaml.cma: loaded
> > Exception: Invalid_argument "index out of bounds".
> > #

Looks like this happens in the initialization code for pycaml.cma.

> How do you debug something like this? ocamldebug and #trace do not seem
> to be very useful. What would you recommend doing to debug this toplevel
> error?

The toplevel is hard to debug. Try to reproduce without the toplevel.

Gerd
Gerd Stolpmann, Bad Nauheimer Str.3, 64289 Darmstadt,Germany
gerd@gerd-stolpmann.de          http://www.gerd-stolpmann.de
Phone: +49-6151-153855                  Fax: +49-6151-997714