* Palindromic Quine
@ 2008-01-28 15:23 Keisuke Nakano
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Keisuke Nakano @ 2008-01-28 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

A 'Palindromic Quine' code is now wanted by a shortest-code contest at:

  http://golf.shinh.org/p.rb?Palindromic+Quine

The code should be a Quine, which prints its own code without reading
its source file. Additionally, the code should be palindromic, which
reads the same forward as it does backward. Shorter code is better.
Lots of programming languages are available including OCaml, of course.

Please submit your palindromic Quine to the above contest if you find
it.
The deadline is Thursday, 7 February 2008, 16:46:39, GMT.
All submitted programs will be revealed after the deadline.
At present the shortest code in OCaml has 205 bytes.

Cheers,

Keisuke Nakano <ksk _at_ mist.i.u-tokyo.ac.jp>

* Re: [Caml-list] Palindromic Quine
@ 2008-01-28 15:37 ` Loup Vaillant
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Loup Vaillant @ 2008-01-28 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keisuke Nakano; +Cc: caml-list

You should have said the input must not be empty!
It gave me false hopes :-(

Cheers,
Loup

2008/1/28, Keisuke Nakano <ksk@mist.i.u-tokyo.ac.jp>:
> Hello,
>
> A 'Palindromic Quine' code is now wanted by a shortest-code contest at:
>
>   http://golf.shinh.org/p.rb?Palindromic+Quine
>
> The code should be a Quine, which prints its own code without reading
> its source file. Additionally, the code should be palindromic, which
> reads the same forward as it does backward. Shorter code is better.
> Lots of programming languages are available including OCaml, of course.
>
> Please submit your palindromic Quine to the above contest if you find
> it.
> The deadline is Thursday, 7 February 2008, 16:46:39, GMT.
> All submitted programs will be revealed after the deadline.
> At present the shortest code in OCaml has 205 bytes.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Keisuke Nakano <ksk _at_ mist.i.u-tokyo.ac.jp>

* Re: [Caml-list] Palindromic Quine
@ 2008-01-28 15:39 ` Alain Frisch
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Alain Frisch @ 2008-01-28 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keisuke Nakano; +Cc: caml-list

Keisuke Nakano wrote:
> The code should be a Quine, which prints its own code without reading
> its source file. Additionally, the code should be palindromic, which
> reads the same forward as it does backward. Shorter code is better.
> Lots of programming languages are available including OCaml, of course.

I've one with 0 bytes. Should I submit it?

-- Alain

* Re: [Caml-list] Palindromic Quine
@ 2008-01-28 15:45   ` Till Varoquaux
From: Till Varoquaux @ 2008-01-28 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alain Frisch; +Cc: Keisuke Nakano, caml-list

Thought about it ;-) but it does say entries should be >1B.

Till

On Jan 28, 2008 3:39 PM, Alain Frisch <alain@frisch.fr> wrote:
> Keisuke Nakano wrote:
> > The code should be a Quine, which prints its own code without reading
> > its source file. Additionally, the code should be palindromic, which
> > reads the same forward as it does backward. Shorter code is better.
> > Lots of programming languages are available including OCaml, of course.
>
> I've one with 0 bytes. Should I submit it?
>
> -- Alain

http://till-varoquaux.blogspot.com/

* Re: [Caml-list] Palindromic Quine
@ 2008-01-28 15:47     ` Loup Vaillant
From: Loup Vaillant @ 2008-01-28 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Till Varoquaux; +Cc: Alain Frisch, Keisuke Nakano, caml-list

2008/1/28, Till Varoquaux <till.varoquaux@gmail.com>:
> Thought about it ;-) but it does say entries should be >1B.

That makes 3 of us...

* Re: [Caml-list] Palindromic Quine
@ 2008-01-28 15:49   ` Keisuke Nakano
From: Keisuke Nakano @ 2008-01-28 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Sorry, Loup and Alain.
I should have said empty code is not allowed.

Keisuke

@ 2008-01-28 15:52     ` Romain Bardou
From: Romain Bardou @ 2008-01-28 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Actually a Quine can be empty AND >1B, can't it?

--
Romain Bardou

@ 2008-01-28 17:12       ` Loup Vaillant
From: Loup Vaillant @ 2008-01-28 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Romain Bardou; +Cc: caml-list

2008/1/28, Romain Bardou <Romain.Bardou@lri.fr>:
> Actually a Quine can be empty AND >1B, can't it?

Are you thinking about a source that contains only 1 or two white
spaces? I can only think of whitespace
(http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/whitespace/) to manage such a crazy feat.

<going_nuts>
Another idea: submit a single entry wich works as BOTH Ocaml and whitespace...
</going_nuts>

@ 2008-01-28 19:12 ` Martin Jambon
From: Martin Jambon @ 2008-01-28 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keisuke Nakano; +Cc: caml-list

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008, Keisuke Nakano wrote:

> Hello,
>
> A 'Palindromic Quine' code is now wanted by a shortest-code contest at:
>
> http://golf.shinh.org/p.rb?Palindromic+Quine
>
> The code should be a Quine, which prints its own code without reading
> its source file. Additionally, the code should be palindromic, which
> reads the same forward as it does backward. Shorter code is better.
> Lots of programming languages are available including OCaml, of course.
>
> Please submit your palindromic Quine to the above contest if you find it.
> The deadline is Thursday, 7 February 2008, 16:46:39, GMT.
> All submitted programs will be revealed after the deadline.
> At present the shortest code in OCaml has 205 bytes.

Here's a new non-palindromic OCaml quine:

   http://martin.jambon.free.fr/q.ml

Maybe not completely legal and works only "ocaml q.ml"...

but feel free to make it palindromic :-)

Martin

--
http://wink.com/profile/mjambon
http://martin.jambon.free.fr

* Re: [Caml-list] Palindromic Quine
@ 2008-01-29 19:58   ` Fabrice Marchant
From: Fabrice Marchant @ 2008-01-29 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> Here's a new non-palindromic OCaml quine:
>
>    http://martin.jambon.free.fr/q.ml
>
> Maybe not completely legal and works only "ocaml q.ml"...
>
> but feel free to make it palindromic :-)

  Absolutely cool, lol !

Regards,

Fabrice

* Re: [Caml-list] Palindromic Quine
@ 2008-01-29 21:02     ` Bünzli Daniel
       [not found]       ` <4b5157c30801291342r2094969r8f3497d9a82aea4d@mail.gmail.com>
From: Bünzli Daniel @ 2008-01-29 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list caml-list

Le 29 janv. 08 à 20:58, Fabrice Marchant a écrit :

>> Here's a new non-palindromic OCaml quine:
>>
>>   http://martin.jambon.free.fr/q.ml
>>
>> Maybe not completely legal and works only "ocaml q.ml"...
>>
>> but feel free to make it palindromic :-)
>
>  Absolutely cool, lol !

But it's not a program.

Daniel

* Re: [Caml-list] Palindromic Quine
@ 2008-01-29 21:43       ` Paolo Donadeo
       [not found]       ` <4b5157c30801291342r2094969r8f3497d9a82aea4d@mail.gmail.com>
From: Paolo Donadeo @ 2008-01-29 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list caml-list

> But it's not a program.

Yes it is!

Not a correct one, of course :)

--
                                            Paolo

Paolo Donadeo, Senior Software Engineer
Studio Associato 4Sigma
Email: p.donadeo@4sigma.it
~
~
:wq

@ 2008-01-29 21:49         ` Bünzli Daniel
From: Bünzli Daniel @ 2008-01-29 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list List

So your email below is a program ? You can define any string to be a
program but it won't be that useful.

Daniel

Le 29 janv. 08 à 22:42, Paolo Donadeo a écrit :

>> But it's not a program.
>
> Yes it is!
>
> Not a correct one, of course :)
>

> --
>                                           Paolo
>

> Paolo Donadeo, Senior Software Engineer
> Studio Associato 4Sigma
> Email: p.donadeo@4sigma.it
> ~
> ~
> :wq

* Re: [Caml-list] Palindromic Quine
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-01-30  4:06 ` Julien Moutinho
From: Julien Moutinho @ 2008-01-30  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 12:23:45AM +0900, Keisuke Nakano wrote:
> A 'Palindromic Quine' code is now wanted by a shortest-code contest at:
>
>  http://golf.shinh.org/p.rb?Palindromic+Quine
>
> The code should be a Quine, which prints its own code without reading
> its source file. Additionally, the code should be palindromic, which
> reads the same forward as it does backward. Shorter code is better.
> Lots of programming languages are available including OCaml, of course.
>
> Please submit your palindromic Quine to the above contest if you find it.
> The deadline is Thursday, 7 February 2008, 16:46:39, GMT.
> All submitted programs will be revealed after the deadline.
> At present the shortest code in OCaml has 205 bytes.

Quite a cheating palindromic Quine, but that's enough for my being satisfied.

% cat t.ml
(*/*)()=()open Sys let tel()=();;let fer=print_string executable_name in tel
let ni eman_elbatucexe gnirts_tnirp=ref tel;;()=()let tel syS nepo()=()(*\*)
% O=`cat t.ml`; mkdir -p "(*"; ocamlc -w a t.ml -o "$O"; "$O"
(*/*)()=()open Sys let tel()=();;let fer=print_string executable_name in tel
let ni eman_elbatucexe gnirts_tnirp=ref tel;;()=()let tel syS nepo()=()(*\*)
% wc t.ml
  2  16 154 t.ml

Explanation:
  It just calls [print_string Sys.executable_name]
  with an ad-hoc executable name.
Also, I've considered that ")(" and "/\" are palindromic.

Cheers,

        Julien Moutinho.

* Re: [Caml-list] Palindromic Quine
@ 2008-01-30 12:57           ` Kuba Ober
From: Kuba Ober @ 2008-01-30 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Tuesday 29 January 2008, Bünzli Daniel wrote:
> So your email below is a program ? You can define any string to be a
> program but it won't be that useful.

Yeah, but I guess the constraint is that you have to run/process it in some
sort of what would normally be considered programming environment ;)

So, the error message approach, being a non-palindromic quine, will work with
many compilers in fact.

I guess the contest designers have to decide one way or the other on the "it
must be a correct program" constraint.

Cheers, Kuba

* Re: [Caml-list] Palindromic Quine
@ 2008-01-30 14:15             ` Keisuke Nakano
From: Keisuke Nakano @ 2008-01-30 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 2008/01/30, at 21:57, Kuba Ober wrote:
> I guess the contest designers have to decide one way or the other
> on the "it
> must be a correct program" constraint.

The only constraint for correctness is 'to be accepted by the server'.
The contest server automatically and immediately judges submitted
programs
whether it is correct or not. If the submission is correct, the
server will
add the author's name to the ranking.

The error message approach, even if it is palindromic, will be rejected
because the server does not observe the standard error.

Cheers,
Keisuke.

* Re: [Caml-list] Palindromic Quine
@ 2008-01-30 16:28               ` Kuba Ober
From: Kuba Ober @ 2008-01-30 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Wednesday 30 January 2008, Keisuke Nakano wrote:
> On 2008/01/30, at 21:57, Kuba Ober wrote:
> > I guess the contest designers have to decide one way or the other
> > on the "it
> > must be a correct program" constraint.
>
> The only constraint for correctness is 'to be accepted by the server'.
> The contest server automatically and immediately judges submitted
> programs
> whether it is correct or not. If the submission is correct, the
> server will
> add the author's name to the ranking.
>
> The error message approach, even if it is palindromic, will be rejected
> because the server does not observe the standard error.

I guess that settles it, then. The approach was nifty, though ;)

Cheers, Kuba

* Re: [Caml-list] Palindromic Quine
@ 2008-01-31  6:59             ` Cristian Baboi
From: Cristian Baboi @ 2008-01-31  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kuba Ober, caml-list

Which language the Quine was written in ? :-)

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 14:57:06 +0200, Kuba Ober <ober.14@osu.edu> wrote:

> On Tuesday 29 January 2008, Bünzli Daniel wrote:
>> So your email below is a program ? You can define any string to be a
>> program but it won't be that useful.

> Yeah, but I guess the constraint is that you have to run/process it in
> some
> sort of what would normally be considered programming environment ;)

> So, the error message approach, being a non-palindromic quine, will work
> with
> many compilers in fact.

> I guess the contest designers have to decide one way or the other on the
> "it
> must be a correct program" constraint.
>
> Cheers, Kuba

________ Information from NOD32 ________
This message was checked by NOD32 Antivirus System for Linux Mail Servers.
  part000.txt - is OK
http://www.eset.com

* Re: [Caml-list] Palindromic Quine
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-02-08 13:39 ` Keisuke Nakano
From: Keisuke Nakano @ 2008-02-08 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

The shortest code contest 'Palindromic Quine' is over.
The result is found at:
   http://golf.shinh.org/p.rb?Palindromic+Quine#OCaml

Finally I could find the shortest code with 199 bytes:

"k\"",let rec(!)n?(q=String.make 1(Char.chr 34))s k=print_char
(q^s^q^q^k^q).[abs n];!(n-1)s k in!99"99!ni k s)1-n(!;]n sba[.)
q^k^q^q^s^q(rahc_tnirp=k s))43 rhc.rahC(1 ekam.gnirtS=q(?n)!(cer
tel,""\k"

It is an acceptable solution for the contest though the code
execution ends with an exception 'index out of bounds'.

There may exist a palindromic Quine code shorter than this code.
Please try to find it if you're interested in.