From: Dumitru Potop-Butucaru <dumitru.potop_butucaru@inria.fr>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Smart caml editor and smart debugger
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 11:38:21 +0200	[thread overview]

Hello,

I wrote several thousands of lines of CAML and
I am now debugging it. I would **really** need the
following 2 items (if they exist somewhere):

1. An editor where I can collapse entire
     definitions (by reducing a huge "let x = .... in"
     step into a single line). I'd prefer doing it
     using a mouse, but emacs shortcuts would
     be OK, too.

2. A better debugger than ocamldebug, or a
     good trace generation tool

     My problem with ocamldebug is that if a certain
     value is not used inside a "let" scope, then
     I cannot inspect it, even if it is visible in that
     scope (of course, maybe I am wrong,
     in which case please tell it to me).

     So, I am now debugging by inserting print
     functions and inspecting the traces. However,
     writing such functions by hand is taking a huge
     time. Is there some tool allowing me, for instance,
     to choose the functions whose calls I want to trace?
     (so that the call and its parameters are
     automatically logged).

Yours,
Jacky Potop