From: Alain Frisch <alain.frisch@lexifi.com>
To: Martin DeMello <martindemello@gmail.com>
Cc: OCaml List <caml-list@yquem.inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Desktop GUI toolkits - current state of the art?
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 00:32:00 +0100	[thread overview]

On 11/23/2010 3:19 PM, Martin DeMello wrote:
> What are the actively developed options for writing desktop GUI apps
> in OCaml? Anything other than lablgtk2 (which, at least from a brief
> look through the examples, looks rather ugly, codewise, compared to,
> say, vala or ruby/gtk)? I'll use lablgtk2 in a pinch, but I'm curious
> as to whether anyone has been experimenting with toolkit bindings with
> an eye towards better syntax and APIs.

If you're under Windows, you might be interested in the CSML tool. It
allows you to build quite easily your own binding to .Net libraries. The
CSML distribution contains an example of a mini-binding to Windows
Forms; you can also see that in screenshots:

http://www.lexifi.com/csml

LexiFi uses CSML to build Windows Forms application, but most of our
GUIs are managed by a higher-level layer, not direct calls to Windows
Forms.  As a matter of fact, we generate most of the GUIs that are
intended to show or edit structured values, automatically from OCaml
type definitions.

We have a few local extensions to the OCaml compiler that makes it
easier to build nice APIs for GUI toolkits, with a functional flavor:
implicit subtyping and generalized recursion. Hopefully, I'll be able to
blog about these extensions and how they are used for GUI programming
some day.

Alain