On 04/20/2011 12:48 AM, Jon Harrop wrote: > Fabrice wrote: >> Well, Java has fully multi-threaded garbage collection, so there is no point that it >> is possible to do it. >> >> The problem is that it has a cost, and the cost is a huge slowdown on mono- >> threaded programs. > > Lucas says "zero". You say "huge". Can we do a better job of quantifying this? No, I cannot, but you can ask the OC4MC team for numbers, to compare the performance of their implementation with the official one for sequential programs (coq, ocamlopt, etc.) I could only find 3 programs on their slides, not really representative of classical OCaml programs, but one of them already showed a 17% slowdown compared to OCaml. Fabrice