From: Romain Bardou <bardou@lri.fr>
To: "Daniel Bünzli" <daniel.buenzli@erratique.ch>
Cc: Thomas Gazagnaire <thomas@ocamlpro.com>, caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] Argot: 1.0 release
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2011 18:08:08 +0100	[thread overview]

> Another thing is the fixed-width layout. The width of the page is too
> wide. First the lines are too long which causes a readability issue:
> it makes it hard to read from one line to the other --- depends on the
> font but beyond approx. 80 chars per line it becomes hard for
> continuous reading. Second I personally never work on 27-inch
> displays. With the current design I cannot put my browser window next
> to emacs and read the doc without a horizontal scroll bar. The design
> grid should be fluid, within reasonable limits (cf. css's min-width,
> max-width and if you want to go wild, media queries to use different
> style sheets for different devices widths, a few techniques and
> pointers here [1]).

I agree that the name of the module is too big :)

On the other hand, I would advise to be cautious about the fixed width
thing. I find it quite annoying when a website only uses 1/3 of my
browser window and the rest is filled with blank space. Sure, if a line
is too long then it's less readable blablabla. But forcing a fixed width
is not a good solution in my opinion. Too often have I increased the
font size, only to find out that either:
- it did not resize the containers as well,
- or the website did not allow font size changes (probably because of
the above).
In both cases, the user is screwed, especially on small monitors with
big resolutions. The user should be able to change the font size and use
as much space as he wants. If you find that lines are too long, just
resize your window.

Sorry for being off-topic ;)

Cheers,

--