From: "Stéphane Glondu" <steph@glondu.net>
To: Diego Olivier Fernandez Pons <dofp.ocaml@gmail.com>
Cc: caml-list <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Why isn't there a common platform for functional language interaction ?
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 13:23:50 +0100	[thread overview]

Le 10/12/2011 11:36, Diego Olivier Fernandez Pons a écrit :
> At some point I thought that C-- (http://www.cminusminus.org/index.html)
> and that type of work would converge to that but it never happened.

Interesting... but it doesn't seem to have evolved since 2007.

LLVM and Parrot advertised the same goals, and are uncontroversial
technologies in my opinion. I think that to achieve better
interoperability and "hype", one of those would be a better fit than the
current native and bytecode compilers. I know, either is probably not
the best fit w.r.t. performances (actually, I've got some concern about
Parrot's design, but that's not the point), but, come on... do people
really chose to write in OCaml because of performances? Much more people
write in Perl, Python, etc. for reasons that could be applied to OCaml
(if there were only the toplevel).

By the way, as far as OCaml is concerned, there was also the OCamlIL
project [1], but it looks dead now (and .NET is not a technology I would
call uncontroversial).

[1] http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~montela/ocamil/

Cheers,

--