From: David House <dhouse@janestreet.com>
To: Gabriel Scherer <gabriel.scherer@gmail.com>
Cc: oliver <oliver@first.in-berlin.de>,
	"Matej Košík" <5764c029b688c1c0d24a2e97cd764f@gmail.com>,
	caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] syntactic detail
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 14:50:55 +0000	[thread overview]

On 02/08/2012 02:39 PM, Gabriel Scherer wrote:
> People. Please. Tell me you are *not* arguing over underscores in
> numeric literals !

This is not totally academic. I have come across the exact bug I
describe. It was painful.

>  > But it hides bugs, because if you see 10_000_0000 you are
>  > much more likely to think it is 10^7 than you are with 100000000,
>  > where you are likely to be careful and take your time.
>
> So your point is : it is dangerous because it is clearer. I also
> recommend we forbid comments, since:
> - they can be abused, even by mistake, to make code *harder* to read
> - removing them will force people to read code more carefully

Allowing underscores is definitely better than not allowing them, since
it makes code clearer. I'd rather put up with the possibility of these
bugs than remove the feature altogether. But seeing as we can remove the
option for these bugs with a pretty easy-going syntax restriction, why
not? (There is no such analogous restriction that would make comments
more accurate.)

That being said, I do agree with the general sentiment that too many
bytes have been wasted on this thread. I'll try to extricate myself from
the debate and get on with something useful :)