* [Caml-list] [ANN] Vim plugin
       [not found] <471204069.596560.1327958835658.JavaMail.root@zmbs2.inria.fr>
@ 2012-01-30 21:29 ` Pierre Vittet
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Pierre Vittet @ 2012-01-30 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

[English version below]

Bonjour,
Je ne sais pas si beaucoup d'entre vous utilise Vim pour coder en OCaml. J'ai eu besoin de faire quelques modifications sur le greffon officiel pour pouvoir utiliser pleinement les annotations. Je partage donc mes modifications pour le cas ou elles soient utiles à d'autres: http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3906.

J'ai corrigé 2 bogues et rajouté une fonctionnalité permettant d'utiliser les annotations avec l'ensemble des fichiers .ml ouverts. Jusqu'à présent il semble que les annotations ne fonctionnaient que sur le premier fichier ouvert.

J'utilise ma version modifiée depuis plusieurs semaines sans problème.
Si vous essayez mon greffon, je vous remercie de me faire un retour (sur les bogues ou leur absence).

Merci
Pierre Vittet

-------------------------

Hello,
I don't know if many of you use Vim to write OCaml code. I had to make some change on the official plugin in order to use the annotation as I wanted. I share my modifications in the hope that they can be useful to others : http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3906.

I corrected 2 bugs and add a functionnality allowing to use annotations on every .ml file opened in the editor. Until now, it looks like previously annotation were working only on the first opened OCaml file.

I use my modified version without any problem for several weeks. If you try my plugin, please, keep me informed of the eventual bugs.

Thanks
Pierre Vittet

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] Vim plugin
@ 2012-01-31  8:27   ` Jonathan Protzenko
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jonathan Protzenko @ 2012-01-31  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Vittet; +Cc: caml-list

I think Xavier heard me scream quite a few times when the ocaml plugin
screwed up my buffers, so many thanks for fixing this. So far, I
haven't had any problem. I strongly encourage you to push your changes
to the official vim distribution, so that everyone can benefit from
your fixes.

Thanks again,

jonathan

On Mon 30 Jan 2012 10:29:14 PM CET, Pierre Vittet wrote:
> [English version below]
>
> Bonjour,
> Je ne sais pas si beaucoup d'entre vous utilise Vim pour coder en
> OCaml. J'ai eu besoin de faire quelques modifications sur le greffon
> officiel pour pouvoir utiliser pleinement les annotations. Je partage
> donc mes modifications pour le cas ou elles soient utiles à d'autres:
> http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3906.
>
> J'ai corrigé 2 bogues et rajouté une fonctionnalité permettant
> d'utiliser les annotations avec l'ensemble des fichiers .ml ouverts.
> Jusqu'à présent il semble que les annotations ne fonctionnaient que
> sur le premier fichier ouvert.
>
> J'utilise ma version modifiée depuis plusieurs semaines sans problème.
> Si vous essayez mon greffon, je vous remercie de me faire un retour
> (sur les bogues ou leur absence).
>
> Merci
> Pierre Vittet
>
> -------------------------
>
> Hello,
> I don't know if many of you use Vim to write OCaml code. I had to make
> some change on the official plugin in order to use the annotation as I
> wanted. I share my modifications in the hope that they can be useful
> to others : http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3906.
>
> I corrected 2 bugs and add a functionnality allowing to use
> annotations on every .ml file opened in the editor. Until now, it
> looks like previously annotation were working only on the first opened
> OCaml file.
>
> I use my modified version without any problem for several weeks. If
> you try my plugin, please, keep me informed of the eventual bugs.
>
> Thanks
> Pierre Vittet

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] Vim plugin
@ 2012-01-31 10:02   ` oliver
From: oliver @ 2012-01-31 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Vittet; +Cc: caml-list

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 10:29:14PM +0100, Pierre Vittet wrote:
> [English version below]
[...]
> -------------------------
>
> Hello,
> I don't know if many of you use Vim to write OCaml code. I had to make some change on the official plugin in order to use the annotation as I wanted. I share my modifications in the hope that they can be useful to others : http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3906.
>
> I corrected 2 bugs and add a functionnality allowing to use annotations on every .ml file opened in the editor. Until now, it looks like previously annotation were working only on the first opened OCaml file.
>
> I use my modified version without any problem for several weeks. If you try my plugin, please, keep me informed of the eventual bugs.
[...]

Hello,

Sometimes I had problems with syntax highlighting in OCaml.
The end of comments was not always displayed correctly colored.
This was the case, when long and nested comments were used.
Then the non-comment section sometimes was displayed as
if it were a comment.

Someone also knows that problem?

Maybe that is another issue that you might be able and interested
to fix...?!

Ciao,
   Oliver

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] Vim plugin
@ 2012-01-31 11:07     ` Raphael Proust
From: Raphael Proust @ 2012-01-31 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: oliver; +Cc: Pierre Vittet, caml-list

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 10:02 AM, oliver <oliver@first.in-berlin.de> wrote:
> [...]
>
> Sometimes I had problems with syntax highlighting in OCaml.
> The end of comments was not always displayed correctly colored.
> This was the case, when long and nested comments were used.
> Then the non-comment section sometimes was displayed as
> if it were a comment.
>
> Someone also knows that problem?
>
> Maybe that is another issue that you might be able and interested
> to fix...?!

http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/syntax.html#:syn-sync-minlines
might be the setting you are looking for.

Also note that some features are not supported by the ocaml vim files
(e.g. first class modules). Coloring (and indenting) will be incorrect
around these constructs.

Cheers,
--
_______
Raphael

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] Vim plugin
@ 2012-01-31 11:08     ` Adrien
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Adrien @ 2012-01-31 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: oliver; +Cc: Pierre Vittet, caml-list

On 31/01/2012, oliver <oliver@first.in-berlin.de> wrote:
> Sometimes I had problems with syntax highlighting in OCaml.
> The end of comments was not always displayed correctly colored.
> This was the case, when long and nested comments were used.
> Then the non-comment section sometimes was displayed as
> if it were a comment.
>
> Someone also knows that problem?
>
> Maybe that is another issue that you might be able and interested
> to fix...?!

Hello,

I've had the issue with long comments too but I think it's not
specific to the ocaml highlighting: if you move around (forcing some
kind of refresh when doing so), you will probably recover the proper
highlighting (gg'' might be enough).

Regards,
Adrien Nader

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] Vim plugin
@ 2012-01-31 11:14       ` Marc Weber
From: Marc Weber @ 2012-01-31 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Excerpts from Adrien's message of Tue Jan 31 12:08:16 +0100 2012:
> I've had the issue with long comments too but I think it's not
> specific to the ocaml highlighting: if you move around (forcing some
> kind of refresh when doing so), you will probably recover the proper
> highlighting (gg'' might be enough).
ctrl-l is the way to refresh the display usually. Also settings like
synmaxcol affect length of highlighting. Its limited for speed reasons.

The best way to contribute changes is
a) try to contact the maintainer
b) if he doesn't reply - send patches to vim mailinglist

else) upload your changes to www.vim.org as script. ~/.vim/* files
are read before $VIMRUNTIME files.

Using a plugin manager such as vim-addon-manager, vundle, pathogen it
should be easy to keep up to date with additional repositories.

Marc Weber

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] Vim plugin
@ 2012-01-31 11:21       ` Matej Košík
From: Matej Košík @ 2012-01-31 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 01/31/2012 11:08 AM, Adrien wrote:
> On 31/01/2012, oliver <oliver@first.in-berlin.de> wrote:
>> Sometimes I had problems with syntax highlighting in OCaml.
>> The end of comments was not always displayed correctly colored.
>> This was the case, when long and nested comments were used.
>> Then the non-comment section sometimes was displayed as
>> if it were a comment.
>>
>> Someone also knows that problem?
>>
>> Maybe that is another issue that you might be able and interested
>> to fix...?!
>
> Hello,
>
> I've had the issue with long comments too but I think it's not
> specific to the ocaml highlighting: if you move around (forcing some
> kind of refresh when doing so), you will probably recover the proper
> highlighting (gg'' might be enough).

I can confirm this.

Probably a related problem is that if you go to an end of some
long-enough function (you can try 300-lines-long function); if you leave
vim; reenter vim (or switch to another buffer and switch back), you will
be viewing again end of the long function but syntax-highlighting will
be "out of sync". As if syntax-highlighter did not go backward enough to
be able to interprete meaning of the tokens that you are viewing.

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] Vim plugin
@ 2012-01-31 13:36       ` oliver
From: oliver @ 2012-01-31 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrien; +Cc: Pierre Vittet, caml-list

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 12:08:16PM +0100, Adrien wrote:
> On 31/01/2012, oliver <oliver@first.in-berlin.de> wrote:
> > Sometimes I had problems with syntax highlighting in OCaml.
> > The end of comments was not always displayed correctly colored.
> > This was the case, when long and nested comments were used.
> > Then the non-comment section sometimes was displayed as
> > if it were a comment.
> >
> > Someone also knows that problem?
> >
> > Maybe that is another issue that you might be able and interested
> > to fix...?!
>
> Hello,
>
> I've had the issue with long comments too but I think it's not
> specific to the ocaml highlighting: if you move around (forcing some
> kind of refresh when doing so), you will probably recover the proper
> highlighting (gg'' might be enough).
[...]

Yes, I sometimes scrolled down and up or vice versa and it solved the problem.
But this can become annoying...

Ciao,
   Oliver

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] Vim plugin
@ 2012-01-31 14:11   ` Anthony Tavener
From: Anthony Tavener @ 2012-01-31 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Bwahaha! Well that explains why using .annot files didn't seem reliable!

It seemed like it worked any time I *tested* whether it worked, and then
sometime when I try to make practical use of it... no. :P

So, merci beaucoup Pierre! Now I'll make more use of the feature.

 -Tony

2012/1/30 Pierre Vittet <pierre.vittet@inria.fr>

> [English version below]
>
> Bonjour,
> Je ne sais pas si beaucoup d'entre vous utilise Vim pour coder en OCaml.
> J'ai eu besoin de faire quelques modifications sur le greffon officiel pour
> pouvoir utiliser pleinement les annotations. Je partage donc mes
> modifications pour le cas ou elles soient utiles à d'autres:
> http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3906.
>
> J'ai corrigé 2 bogues et rajouté une fonctionnalité permettant d'utiliser
> les annotations avec l'ensemble des fichiers .ml ouverts. Jusqu'à présent
> il semble que les annotations ne fonctionnaient que sur le premier fichier
> ouvert.
>
> J'utilise ma version modifiée depuis plusieurs semaines sans problème.
> Si vous essayez mon greffon, je vous remercie de me faire un retour (sur
> les bogues ou leur absence).
>
> Merci
> Pierre Vittet
>
> -------------------------
>
> Hello,
> I don't know if many of you use Vim to write OCaml code. I had to make
> some change on the official plugin in order to use the annotation as I
> wanted. I share my modifications in the hope that they can be useful to
> others : http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3906.
>
> I corrected 2 bugs and add a functionnality allowing to use annotations on
> every .ml file opened in the editor. Until now, it looks like previously
> annotation were working only on the first opened OCaml file.
>
> I use my modified version without any problem for several weeks. If you
> try my plugin, please, keep me informed of the eventual bugs.
>
> Thanks
> Pierre Vittet

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] Vim plugin
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-01-31 14:49   ` Markus Mottl
From: Markus Mottl @ 2012-01-31 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Vittet; +Cc: caml-list

Hi Pierre,

thanks a lot for your contribution, I have updated the OCaml ftplugin
file on my site and will submit it to Bram for inclusion in a future
Vim release.

Regards,
Markus

--
Markus Mottl        http://www.ocaml.info        markus.mottl@gmail.com

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] Vim plugin
@ 2012-02-08 20:17     ` Pierre Vittet
From: Pierre Vittet @ 2012-02-08 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

[English version below]

Bonjour,

J'ai fait une légère mise à jour du plugin : lorsque l'on affiche un
type en utilisant <LocalLeader>t, le type est également copié dans le
registre anonyme. Cela permet de le copier si besoin.

Merci pour vos commentaires!

Pierre Vittet

Hello,

I have made a minor update of the plugin: When we print the type using
<LocalLeader>t, the type is also copied in the unnamed register. This
allows to copy it easily.

Thanks for your comments!

Pierre Vittet