* [Caml-list] LablGTK for OCaml 3.12 on Windows
@ 2012-02-22 11:42 Romain Bardou
From: Romain Bardou @ 2012-02-22 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: garrigue

Hello list, hello Jacques,

Here:
http://lablgtk.forge.ocamlcore.org/
I see that there is no binary version of LablGTK for Windows using OCaml
3.12.

Here:
http://old.nabble.com/LablGtk-2.14.2-td29736415.html
I read that "The windows release will have to wait for a windows version
of ocaml 3.12...".

Will LablGTK be released now that OCaml 3.12.1 is available on Windows?
The README.Win32 file is a little bit scary (quote: "Full compilation
with MSVC or mingw (for the brave)").

Cheers,

--
Romain Bardou

* Re: [Caml-list] LablGTK for OCaml 3.12 on Windows
@ 2012-02-22 13:56 ` Adrien
From: Adrien @ 2012-02-22 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Romain Bardou; +Cc: caml-list, garrigue

On 22/02/2012, Romain Bardou <bardou@lsv.ens-cachan.fr> wrote:
> Here:
> http://old.nabble.com/LablGtk-2.14.2-td29736415.html
> I read that "The windows release will have to wait for a windows version
> of ocaml 3.12...".
>
> Will LablGTK be released now that OCaml 3.12.1 is available on Windows?
> The README.Win32 file is a little bit scary (quote: "Full compilation
> with MSVC or mingw (for the brave)").

Hi Romain,

The compilation of lablgtk2 on windows doesn't have particular issues
or difficulties but it's still windows.

The "for the brave" part is probably a bit too scary (I guess it's
quite old and the situation has worse back then). I think you can
compile it by yourself in a matter of minutes if your environment is
already set-up (i.e. gcc and ocaml).

Regards,
Adrien Nader

* Re: [Caml-list] LablGTK for OCaml 3.12 on Windows
@ 2012-02-22 14:00   ` Romain Bardou
From: Romain Bardou @ 2012-02-22 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adrien; +Cc: caml-list

Le 22/02/2012 14:56, Adrien a écrit :
> On 22/02/2012, Romain Bardou<bardou@lsv.ens-cachan.fr>  wrote:
>> Here:
>> http://old.nabble.com/LablGtk-2.14.2-td29736415.html
>> I read that "The windows release will have to wait for a windows version
>> of ocaml 3.12...".
>>
>> Will LablGTK be released now that OCaml 3.12.1 is available on Windows?
>> The README.Win32 file is a little bit scary (quote: "Full compilation
>> with MSVC or mingw (for the brave)").
>
> Hi Romain,
>
> The compilation of lablgtk2 on windows doesn't have particular issues
> or difficulties but it's still windows.
>
> The "for the brave" part is probably a bit too scary (I guess it's
> quite old and the situation has worse back then). I think you can
> compile it by yourself in a matter of minutes if your environment is
> already set-up (i.e. gcc and ocaml).
>
> Regards,
> Adrien Nader

Thanks for your answer Adrien. I guess I will try compiling myself
eventually!

Cheers,

--
Romain

* Re: [Caml-list] LablGTK for OCaml 3.12 on Windows
@ 2012-02-28 16:12     ` Romain Bardou
From: Romain Bardou @ 2012-02-28 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Le 22/02/2012 15:00, Romain Bardou a écrit :
> Le 22/02/2012 14:56, Adrien a écrit :
>> On 22/02/2012, Romain Bardou<bardou@lsv.ens-cachan.fr> wrote:
>>> Here:
>>> http://old.nabble.com/LablGtk-2.14.2-td29736415.html
>>> I read that "The windows release will have to wait for a windows version
>>> of ocaml 3.12...".
>>>
>>> Will LablGTK be released now that OCaml 3.12.1 is available on Windows?
>>> The README.Win32 file is a little bit scary (quote: "Full compilation
>>> with MSVC or mingw (for the brave)").
>>
>> Hi Romain,
>>
>> The compilation of lablgtk2 on windows doesn't have particular issues
>> or difficulties but it's still windows.
>>
>> The "for the brave" part is probably a bit too scary (I guess it's
>> quite old and the situation has worse back then). I think you can
>> compile it by yourself in a matter of minutes if your environment is
>> already set-up (i.e. gcc and ocaml).
>>
>> Regards,
>> Adrien Nader
>>

> Thanks for your answer Adrien. I guess I will try compiling myself
> eventually!
>
> Cheers,

Hi list,

An update on this: I successfully compiled LablGTK with OCaml 3.12 /
MinGW and my application runs (almost) fine.

There was one thing which confused me: in LablGTK's README.Win32 file,
it says to go at http://gladewin32.sourceforge.net; but these do not
work, at least with LablGTK 2.14.2. I tried to tweak some environment
variables so that the headers were found, but then it failed to link due
to some symbol missing. I guess it's due to the version of GTK there
being 2.12?

I had to use the "Bundle" from
ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/binaries/win32/gtk+/2.14/, which works fine.

Cheers,

--
Romain Bardou