* [Caml-list] Ocaml 4.02.0: Dead Code Elimination and Core
@ 2014-09-01 12:58 Christopher Yocum
From: Christopher Yocum @ 2014-09-01 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi Everyone,

I am not sure if this is the correct forum for this question but I thought
I would start here.  I also have the feeling that this is a rather dumb
question.  However, I will put it out there and see what the responses are.

I saw that there is dead code elimination in 4.02.0 and I thought to myself
that this would help make Core's very large binaries smaller.  So, I switch
compilers and did a test.  Unfortunately, a small sample program compiled
with ocamlopt and using Core.Std.List was still 11MB.  I very much doubt
that my binary really needs to be 11MB.  Is there a way to shrink the size?
 I had heard about namesapces elsewhere before but I think that discussion
died.

All the best,
Chris Yocum

* Re: [Caml-list] Ocaml 4.02.0: Dead Code Elimination and Core
@ 2014-09-01 13:14 ` Jeremie Dimino
From: Jeremie Dimino @ 2014-09-01 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Yocum; +Cc: caml-list

Hi Christopher,

On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 1:58 PM, Christopher Yocum <cyocum@gmail.com> wrote:

> I saw that there is dead code elimination in 4.02.0 and I thought to
> myself that this would help make Core's very large binaries smaller.  So, I
> switch compilers and did a test.  Unfortunately, a small sample program
> compiled with ocamlopt and using Core.Std.List was still 11MB.  I very much
> doubt that my binary really needs to be 11MB.  Is there a way to shrink the
> size?  I had heard about namesapces elsewhere before but I think that
> discussion died.

AFAIK 4.02 doesn't do much more dead code elimination than 4.01. There is
an entry about dead code elimination in the changelog but it is a local
optimization that is unlikely to change the size of binaries much.

However there is a new feature of 4.02 that will help reduce the size of
binaries using Core: module aliases. Core will have to be updated to take
advantage of it. We are hopping to release a new version of Core using
module aliases soon.

--
Jeremie

* Re: [Caml-list] Ocaml 4.02.0: Dead Code Elimination and Core
@ 2014-09-01 16:57   ` Chris Yocum
From: Chris Yocum @ 2014-09-01 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremie Dimino; +Cc: caml-list

On Mon, Sep 01, 2014 at 02:14:28PM +0100, Jeremie Dimino wrote:
> Hi Christopher,
>
> On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 1:58 PM, Christopher Yocum <cyocum@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I saw that there is dead code elimination in 4.02.0 and I thought to
> > myself that this would help make Core's very large binaries smaller.  So, I
> > switch compilers and did a test.  Unfortunately, a small sample program
> > compiled with ocamlopt and using Core.Std.List was still 11MB.  I very much
> > doubt that my binary really needs to be 11MB.  Is there a way to shrink the
> > size?  I had heard about namesapces elsewhere before but I think that
> > discussion died.
> >

> AFAIK 4.02 doesn't do much more dead code elimination than 4.01. There is
> an entry about dead code elimination in the changelog but it is a local
> optimization that is unlikely to change the size of binaries much.
>
> However there is a new feature of 4.02 that will help reduce the size of
> binaries using Core: module aliases. Core will have to be updated to take
> advantage of it. We are hopping to release a new version of Core using
> module aliases soon.

Dear Jeremie,

Thank you very much for this.  I look forward to seeing the new
version of Core.  BTW, I just saw a blog post about this on the Jane
St. tech blog.  I guess I should have done a bit more research before
sending this out.

All the best,
Chris

@ 2014-09-04 15:03   ` Goswin von Brederlow
From: Goswin von Brederlow @ 2014-09-04 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Mon, Sep 01, 2014 at 02:14:28PM +0100, Jeremie Dimino wrote:
> Hi Christopher,
>
> On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 1:58 PM, Christopher Yocum <cyocum@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I saw that there is dead code elimination in 4.02.0 and I thought to
> > myself that this would help make Core's very large binaries smaller.  So, I
> > switch compilers and did a test.  Unfortunately, a small sample program
> > compiled with ocamlopt and using Core.Std.List was still 11MB.  I very much
> > doubt that my binary really needs to be 11MB.  Is there a way to shrink the
> > size?  I had heard about namesapces elsewhere before but I think that
> > discussion died.
> >

> AFAIK 4.02 doesn't do much more dead code elimination than 4.01. There is
> an entry about dead code elimination in the changelog but it is a local
> optimization that is unlikely to change the size of binaries much.
>
> However there is a new feature of 4.02 that will help reduce the size of
> binaries using Core: module aliases. Core will have to be updated to take
> advantage of it. We are hopping to release a new version of Core using
> module aliases soon.

Could you (or someone else) give an example of how to use module
aliases? Core isn't the only library that would benefit from this and
a good example would help getting started converting to it.

Note: an example using oasis would be the best. :)

MfG
	Goswin

* Re: [Caml-list] Ocaml 4.02.0: Dead Code Elimination and Core
@ 2014-09-05 20:55     ` Jacques Garrigue
From: Jacques Garrigue @ 2014-09-05 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2014/09/04 17:03, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 01, 2014 at 02:14:28PM +0100, Jeremie Dimino wrote:
>> Hi Christopher,
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 1:58 PM, Christopher Yocum <cyocum@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I saw that there is dead code elimination in 4.02.0 and I thought to
>>> myself that this would help make Core's very large binaries smaller.  So, I
>>> switch compilers and did a test.  Unfortunately, a small sample program
>>> compiled with ocamlopt and using Core.Std.List was still 11MB.  I very much
>>> doubt that my binary really needs to be 11MB.  Is there a way to shrink the
>>> size?  I had heard about namesapces elsewhere before but I think that
>>> discussion died.
>>>

>> AFAIK 4.02 doesn't do much more dead code elimination than 4.01. There is
>> an entry about dead code elimination in the changelog but it is a local
>> optimization that is unlikely to change the size of binaries much.
>>
>> However there is a new feature of 4.02 that will help reduce the size of
>> binaries using Core: module aliases. Core will have to be updated to take
>> advantage of it. We are hopping to release a new version of Core using
>> module aliases soon.
>
> Could you (or someone else) give an example of how to use module
> aliases? Core isn't the only library that would benefit from this and
> a good example would help getting started converting to it.
>
> Note: an example using oasis would be the best. :)
>
> MfG
> 	Goswin

I just gave a presentation at the ML workshop about that.
There is no oasis code, but the slides explain well how to call the compiler,
and the impact on dependencies.

http://www.math.nagoya-u.ac.jp/~garrigue/papers/index.html

Jacques