From: Jean-Louis Giavitto <jean-louis.giavitto@ircam.fr>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: [Caml-list] Problem of type equality in a single definition (was: In 3.12 and 4.0, erratic message "The implementation tt.ml does not match the interface tt.cmi")
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2012 21:36:25 +0200	[thread overview]

Dear all,
I have circumscribed my initial problem and I am able to produce it on a
simple case.

I have a signature Classdef.mli restrcted to

   class virtual ['a, 'b, 'c] cl0 :
   object
     constraint 'c = < m : 'a -> 'b -> int; .. >
   end

   class virtual ['a, 'b] cl1 :
   object
     method virtual m : 'a -> 'b -> int
     method virtual raise_trouble : 'a
   end

   class virtual ['a, 'b] cl2 :
   object
     method virtual as_cl0 : ('a, 'b, ('a, 'b) cl1) cl0
   end

then, in another module that contains only the following type declaration

   type refer =
     {
       poly : 'a 'b 'c . (('b, 'c) #Classdef.cl2 as 'a);
     }

raise the error:

  File "anotherModule.ml", line 1, characters 0-1:
  Error: The implementation anotherModule.ml
        does not match the interface (inferred signature):
        Type declarations do not match:
          type refer = { poly : 'a 'b 'c. ('b, 'c) #Classdef.cl2 as 'a; }
        is not included in
          type refer = { poly : 'a 'b 'c. ('b, 'c) #Classdef.cl2 as 'a; }
        The types for field poly are not equal.

Note that
- if I suppress the method raise_trouble
- or if neither 'a nor 'b appear in the type of this method,
then everything works fine.

Can someone explain to me this behavior? (the two files are in the
attached tarball):
. First, I don't understand which instances of type poly are compared:
   there is only one single definition of this type and no use.
. And second, I don't understand why adding a method will change the
   behavior.

Many thanks in advance,
Jean-Louis Giavitto

--