* ocamlbuild: change the target name
@ 2007-09-14  9:45 Paolo Donadeo
From: Paolo Donadeo @ 2007-09-14  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I'm porting the build system of Ex-nunc from a plethora of makefiles
to ocamlbuild.

Is it possible to change the name of the generated (bytecode or
native) executable name? The Ex-nunc page compiler has a main module
contained in the file (try to guess) mail.ml. Using:

$ ocamlbuild ...some options... main.byte

the program is correctly compiled and named main.byte, but I would
prefer the output was called "xnuncc".

Now I use the mv command, but it's not the best solution.

TIA,

--
Paolo Donadeo, Senior Software Engineer
Studio Associato 4Sigma

* Re: [Caml-list] ocamlbuild: change the target name
@ 2007-09-17 13:04 ` Nicolas Pouillard
From: Nicolas Pouillard @ 2007-09-17 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Excerpts from Paolo Donadeo's message of Fri Sep 14 11:45:09 +0200 2007:
> I'm porting the build system of Ex-nunc from a plethora of makefiles
> to ocamlbuild.
>
> Is it possible to change the name of the generated (bytecode or
> native) executable name? The Ex-nunc page compiler has a main module
> contained in the file (try to guess) mail.ml. Using:
>
> $ ocamlbuild ...some options... main.byte
>
> the program is correctly compiled and named main.byte, but I would
> prefer the output was called "xnuncc".
>
> Now I use the mv command, but it's not the best solution.

There is many ways to do this kind of things.

1/  Rename your main.ml into xnuncc.ml and then accept to keep xnuncc.byte and
xnuncc.native names.

2/  Add  a  rule  to  myocamlbuild.ml  to  say  that  on can build xnuncc from
main.byte and that's just a copy.

copy_rule "The xnuncc binary" "main.byte" "xnuncc";;

The  problem  with this method is that the xnuncc file only live in the _build
directory. You have to manually copy it to install it.

3/  Use a script around ocamlbuild that make a link or a copy for you.

It's  mainly  a  matter  of installing things with ocamlbuild, that is a point
not really treated for now.

Best regards,

--
Nicolas Pouillard aka Ertai

* Re: [Caml-list] ocamlbuild: change the target name
@ 2007-09-17 16:31   ` skaller
From: skaller @ 2007-09-17 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 2007-09-17 at 15:04 +0200, Nicolas Pouillard wrote:
> Excerpts from Paolo Donadeo's message of Fri Sep 14 11:45:09 +0200 2007:

> The  problem  with this method is that the xnuncc file only live in the _build
> directory. You have to manually copy it to install it.
>
> 3/  Use a script around ocamlbuild that make a link or a copy for you.
>
> It's  mainly  a  matter  of installing things with ocamlbuild, that is a point
> not really treated for now.

I think that is right. It is not ocamlbuild's job to install things.