* 3D vector libs for OCaml?
@ 2005-01-04 14:47 Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2005-01-04 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I'm looking for a 3D vector library for OCaml.  In particular I'm
interested in:

* points, rays, vectors, surfaces
* intersection of sphere and ray, surface and ray, etc.

Simple enough to write myself, but I was hoping that one would already
exist.  I checked the Humps, and the nearest I could find are GeOCaml,
which seems to be 2D only, and SOCaml which is the OCaml interface to
Open Inventor, which is not quite what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance,

Rich.

* Re: [Caml-list] 3D vector libs for OCaml?
@ 2005-01-04 19:37 ` Sachin Shah
From: Sachin Shah @ 2005-01-04 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

I am not sure if this exactly fits your needs, but PsiLAB
(http://psilab.sourceforge.net/) is available for the types of
mathematical operations you are talking about.  At the very least, it
provides extensive matrix/linear algebra operations, which you could
use to write your own (assuming another is unavailable).

Regards,

Sachin.

@ 2005-01-04 21:08 ` Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2005-01-04 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Tuesday 04 January 2005 14:47, Richard Jones wrote:
> I'm looking for a 3D vector library for OCaml.  In particular I'm
> interested in:
>
> * points, rays, vectors, surfaces
> * intersection of sphere and ray, surface and ray, etc.

Sounds like ray-tracing territory. IIRC there was an ocaml ray-tracer entry to
one of the old ICFP contests. I suspect the source is available and should
fill many of those holes.

Will this be performance critical?

Cheers,
Jon.

* Re: [Caml-list] 3D vector libs for OCaml?
@ 2005-01-05 10:50   ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2005-01-05 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: caml-list

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 09:08:17PM +0000, Jon Harrop wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 January 2005 14:47, Richard Jones wrote:
> > I'm looking for a 3D vector library for OCaml.  In particular I'm
> > interested in:
> >
> > * points, rays, vectors, surfaces
> > * intersection of sphere and ray, surface and ray, etc.
>
> Sounds like ray-tracing territory. IIRC there was an ocaml
> ray-tracer entry to one of the old ICFP contests. I suspect the
> source is available and should fill many of those holes.

Thanks - I found the source to the ray tracer
(http://caml.inria.fr/icfp00-contest/) which is very useful.

> Will this be performance critical?

I'm just messing around with some 3D scene stuff ...

@ 2005-01-05 13:40     ` Lars Nilsson
From: Lars Nilsson @ 2005-01-05 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Jones; +Cc: caml-list

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 10:50:50 +0000, Richard Jones <rich@annexia.org> wrote:
> Thanks - I found the source to the ray tracer
> (http://caml.inria.fr/icfp00-contest/) which is very useful.
>
> > Will this be performance critical?
>
> I'm just messing around with some 3D scene stuff ...
>
> Rich.

There's also a raytracer written in O'Caml available at

  http://user.it.uu.se/~jenso/programming/

Regards,

Lars Nilsson