* OCalDE
@ 2007-07-23 16:21 Christophe Raffalli
From: Christophe Raffalli @ 2007-07-23 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Dear list members,

Here is a list of questions I have about eclipse and OCalDE (some of them probably easy,
because I am not used to eclipse):

- How can I tell eclipse parser about my own camlp4 extension ?

- How can I configure some "Run script" (typically a "make check" launched from eclipse), to test
and debug my code ?

- I find that "format using camlp4" adds to much parenthesis, is it possible to do something about
it (it is probably necessary to fine tune the camlp4 pretty printer ?)

- The "Content Assist" menu is very nice ... but even with the proper folder added to the Project
Path, It does not always work for my own local function (this may be related to my next question)

- I use unison ... I told it not to synchronise ~/.eclipse and ~/worspace/.metadata, but this does
not work well enough (If I create a project on another machine, the new project needs to be added on
the other machine despite the fact that the folder was copied by unison in the workspace folder). So
what is the correct way to use unison together with eclipse (I am afraid to make a mess in eclipse
files) ? (remark I do not quit always eclipse before synchronisation with unison)

- No progress about the darcs incompatibility related to "linked URLs" used by OCaIDE and not
supported by darcs eclipse.

- I had two or three time a file opened where all modifications where in fact not performed on the
filesystem (closing and reopening the file solved the problem). Is this a known bug with eclipse (I
can not reproduce it yet) ?

Cheers,
--
Christophe Raffalli
Université de Savoie

tél: (33) 4 79 75 81 03
fax: (33) 4 79 75 87 42
mail: Christophe.Raffalli@univ-savoie.fr
www: http://www.lama.univ-savoie.fr/~RAFFALLI

* Re : [Caml-list] OCalDE
@ 2007-07-25 12:30 Matthieu Wipliez
From: Matthieu Wipliez @ 2007-07-25 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

In my experience (development of a plug-in using the GEF framework),
Eclipse plug-ins are written in Java. However, nothing prevents you to write it in another language that allows C bindings, and make it available as a shared library (.so or .dll); calling functions is then done using JNI (Java - C bindings). Which is possible with OCaml since it allows callbacks from C.

As for developing an IDE from scratch rather than use Eclipse, being given the number of features provided by Eclipse, IMHO it is not only like reinventing the wheel, but more like reinventing the car itself...