* Re:  [Caml-list] Mac and C-code
@ 2001-09-28 14:01 Damien Doligez
From: Damien Doligez @ 2001-09-28 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list, wheeler

>From: Ward Wheeler <wheeler@amnh.org>

>I am trying to port an Ocaml application to Mac PPC and have C-code that is
>linked in.  I can do this under LINUX and Win2k usinf gc and MS VC++.  Does
>anyone have experience with this on Macs?

The answers are going to be completely different depending on two
things:
1. Are you porting to Mac OS 9 or Mac OS X ?
2. Does your application have a graphical user interface, or is it
   command-line driven ?

-- Damien

* Re:  [Caml-list] Mac and C-code
@ 2001-09-29  2:52 ` Ward Wheeler
From: Ward Wheeler @ 2001-09-29  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damien Doligez, caml-list

> >I am trying to port an Ocaml application to Mac PPC and have C-code that is
> >linked in.  I can do this under LINUX and Win2k usinf gc and MS VC++.  Does
> >anyone have experience with this on Macs?
>
>The answers are going to be completely different depending on two
>things:
>1. Are you porting to Mac OS 9 or Mac OS X ?
>2. Does your application have a graphical user interface, or is it
>    command-line driven ?

         I was going to blow off Mac OS 9 and move on to OS X
directly.  But I know little about this Mac stuff.  The program is command
line driven, but I have an external Tcl/Tk interface for it.
         Thanks,
Ward

>-- Damien

*********************************
Ward Wheeler
Division of Invertebrate Zoology
American Museum of Natural History
Central Park West @ 79th St.
New York, NY 10024-5192
1-212-769-5754 (Voice)
1-212-769-5277 (FAX)

* Re: [Caml-list] Mac and C-code
@ 2001-10-07 10:40   ` Sven
From: Sven @ 2001-10-07 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Henrikson; +Cc: Damien Doligez, wheeler, caml-list

On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 02:28:01PM -0400, Jeff Henrikson wrote:
> > You'll have no problems porting the command-line tool from Linux to
> > Mac OS X: both are Unix.  Mac OS 9 would be a lot harder.
> >
> > As for the Tcl/Tk interface, you'll have to wait for a port of Tcl/Tk
> > for Mac OS X.  I don't think there is one yet.
>
> I think GTK for OS X exists though, so you could consider redoing your GUI in lablgtk if it isn't too complex.  lablgtk is a nice API.

But it needs an X server still, i think. These can be had for OS X from
various providers.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

* Re:  [Caml-list] Mac and C-code
@ 2001-10-06 22:56 ` Jacques Garrigue
From: Jacques Garrigue @ 2001-10-06 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list, wheeler

From: Damien Doligez <damien.doligez@inria.fr>
> >From: Ward Wheeler <wheeler@amnh.org>
>
> >         I was going to blow off Mac OS 9 and move on to OS X
> >directly.  But I know little about this Mac stuff.  The program is command
> >line driven, but I have an external Tcl/Tk interface for it.
>
> You'll have no problems porting the command-line tool from Linux to
> Mac OS X: both are Unix.  Mac OS 9 would be a lot harder.
>
> As for the Tcl/Tk interface, you'll have to wait for a port of Tcl/Tk
> for Mac OS X.  I don't think there is one yet.

If you've got a bit of Unix experience, then you can install X11.
You can get a free one from http://www.mrcla.com/XonX/
Then Tcl/Tk 8.3.3 compiles out of the box, and ocaml configure script
will recognize it.

Cheers,
Jacques Garrigue      Kyoto University     garrigue at kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp
		<A HREF=http://wwwfun.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~garrigue/>JG</A>

* RE: [Caml-list] Mac and C-code
@ 2001-10-05 18:28 ` Jeff Henrikson
From: Jeff Henrikson @ 2001-10-05 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damien Doligez, wheeler; +Cc: caml-list

> You'll have no problems porting the command-line tool from Linux to
> Mac OS X: both are Unix.  Mac OS 9 would be a lot harder.
>
> As for the Tcl/Tk interface, you'll have to wait for a port of Tcl/Tk
> for Mac OS X.  I don't think there is one yet.

I think GTK for OS X exists though, so you could consider redoing your GUI in lablgtk if it isn't too complex.  lablgtk is a nice
API.

I'm still wishing they had finished GTK for OS 9.

>1. Are you porting to Mac OS 9 or Mac OS X ?

Does anybody have a good way to do builds on Mac OS 9?  Even ocaml's own build seems hairy.  Among other problems, the "domake"
script seems to cause everything to be rebuilt from scratch every time.  As a MPW newbie, the MPW tools just seem too bizzare to
me.  I don't want to learn another sort-of-compatable make program.  People writing both GNU make and MS nmake confuse me enough
already.

Has anybody tried "jam" "ftjam" or some other mac compatable make-like tool with ocaml (and perhaps related C code) projects with
success?

Jeff Henrikson

* Re:  [Caml-list] Mac and C-code
@ 2001-10-05 12:06 Damien Doligez
From: Damien Doligez @ 2001-10-05 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damien.Doligez, caml-list, wheeler

>From: Ward Wheeler <wheeler@amnh.org>

>         I was going to blow off Mac OS 9 and move on to OS X
>directly.  But I know little about this Mac stuff.  The program is command
>line driven, but I have an external Tcl/Tk interface for it.

You'll have no problems porting the command-line tool from Linux to
Mac OS X: both are Unix.  Mac OS 9 would be a lot harder.

As for the Tcl/Tk interface, you'll have to wait for a port of Tcl/Tk
for Mac OS X.  I don't think there is one yet.

-- Damien

* [Caml-list] Mac and C-code
@ 2001-09-27 13:49   ` Ward Wheeler
From: Ward Wheeler @ 2001-09-27 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CAML LIST

I am trying to port an Ocaml application to Mac PPC and have C-code that is
linked in.  I can do this under LINUX and Win2k usinf gc and MS VC++.  Does
anyone have experience with this on Macs?
Thanks
Ward Wheeler