* [Caml-list] Kernel in OCAML using native compiler
@ 2001-12-20  9:16 Shannon --jj Behrens
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Shannon --jj Behrens @ 2001-12-20  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Can anyone point me to any links concerning writing a
kernel in OCAML using the native compiler?  Also,
please feel free to correct me if anyone feels that
this is similar to trying to trisect an angle (i.e.
completely foolish).

Thanks for your patience,
-jj

* Re: [Caml-list] Kernel in OCAML using native compiler
@ 2001-12-31 16:01 Shannon --jj Behrens
From: Shannon --jj Behrens @ 2001-12-31 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I hope you don't mind if I ask you another question
conscerning writing a kernel in OCAML.  I was writing
a few programs to find primes in C and in OCAML so
that I could compare the performance.  It appears that
OCAML offers a very nice compromise of code length and
code execution speed.  However, I also noticed
occasional pauses in the primes generation during
which (I assume) OCAML was doing its (two levels) of
garbage collection.  I fear that reference counting
might be a more appropriate algorithm for *GC in a
kernel* than what I guess is two levels of mark and
sweep.

Can you comment on this or perhaps offer any
workarounds?  I did play with the Gc module's control
structure, but didn't really gain any huge
improvements.

Thanks for your time,
-jj

[parent not found: <15408.41633.311678.235219@hector.lesours>]