From: Hongbo Zhang <bobzhang1988@gmail.com>
To: "Jérémie Dimino" <jeremie@dimino.org>, "Caml List" <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: [Caml-list] Re: [ANN] utop 1.2
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2012 21:20:33 -0400	[thread overview]

On 7/31/12 2:03 AM, Jérémie Dimino wrote:
> Hi,
Greetings,
   Just have a try for the utop and give it up. Here are some
difficulties that I came across, no complains, hope that will help
utop's next release.

   a. dependency too much. To my limited knowledge, utop is a standalone
binary, dependency on lwt is a big problem, I never managed to install
it successfully on Mac(I did on my Linux box)

   b. I still give a try. and grabed package react, try to install
react, but found that react even don't work with ocamlfind. I stop here.
(package react is just one file, dependency on react is not worth)

I know it would be convenient to use some package managers like Godi,
but I maintained my own fork of ocaml(I changed the ocaml's compiler
frequently, using Godi would bring a lot of pain).

   It would be great if utop is a stand alone package, or , a utop.byte
is still fine. I have used otags.byte built on Linux, and copied to my
Mac, it works fine.

   I never used utop(never succeeded :-( ) , but I guess it maybe
something like slime for lisp, hope this will help utop to gain more users.

Best -- Hongbo Zhang