* Re: [Caml-list] OpenGL mailing-list
@ 2013-03-08 18:27 Florent Monnier
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Florent Monnier @ 2013-03-08 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> [...] http://lists.ocaml.org/, to improve their visibility, [...]

What would you think about creating an ocaml-opengl mailing list too?
(for generic ocaml/opengl)

Most camelers are not interested by the topic, so we could post more
things about it there without fear of annoying other people.

From: Török Edwin @ 2013-03-08 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 03/08/2013 08:27 PM, Florent Monnier wrote:
>> [...] http://lists.ocaml.org/, to improve their visibility, [...]
>
> What would you think about creating an ocaml-opengl mailing list too?
> (for generic ocaml/opengl)
>
> Most camelers are not interested by the topic, so we could post more
> things about it there without fear of annoying other people.

Would OpenGL discussions be so high volume?
I don't remember seeing (m)any OpenGL related discussions since I've joined this ML.

Or is it about trying to unify the various existing OpenGL bindings?

--Edwin

* Re: [Caml-list] OpenGL mailing-list
@ 2013-03-08 19:05   ` Florent Monnier
From: Florent Monnier @ 2013-03-08 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: Török Edwin

2013/03/08, Török Edwin wrote:
> On 03/08/2013 08:27 PM, Florent Monnier wrote:
>>> [...] http://lists.ocaml.org/, to improve their visibility, [...]
>>
>> What would you think about creating an ocaml-opengl mailing list too?
>> (for generic ocaml/opengl)
>>
>> Most camelers are not interested by the topic, so we could post more
>> things about it there without fear of annoying other people.
>>

> Would OpenGL discussions be so high volume?
> I don't remember seeing (m)any OpenGL related discussions since I've joined
> this ML.

If the ML would exist (at least I) would maybe post more things.
And maybe even things that are related to the "details" category, that
would for sure not fit the main ML.

> Or is it about trying to unify the various existing OpenGL bindings?

I don't know which direction to take, trying to unify them, take one
and make it evolve, start something new from scratch, reuse something
from another programming language...
I would be pleased to get opinions from other people that care about
this topic without anoying the others.

Also, more important (IMO) about OpenGL version handling, this could
be done in several ways.

I don't know if such a discussion would grow or not. Maybe I would be
the only one in it, or maybe other people would have something to say.
In case it could grow this would not fit the main ML IMHO.

@ 2013-03-08 20:02 ` Wojciech Meyer
From: Wojciech Meyer @ 2013-03-08 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florent Monnier; +Cc: caml-list

Florent Monnier <monnier.florent@gmail.com> writes:

>> [...] http://lists.ocaml.org/, to improve their visibility, [...]
>
> What would you think about creating an ocaml-opengl mailing list too?
> (for generic ocaml/opengl)

I think it's a great idea, and such list must be separated from
Caml-list. If you take a look at proportions who wants to write programs
in OpenGL, you would see that most of these people are youngsters
wanting an efficient platform for graphics programming - they might be
not be interested (and will not!) in the topics strongly related to
OCaml language (at least in the beginning) like type systems and
runtime. It's an excellent opportunity to drag some of these Game-dev
people to Ocaml world.

> Most camelers are not interested by the topic, so we could post more
> things about it there without fear of annoying other people.

I certainly agree.

--
Wojciech Meyer
http://danmey.org

@ 2013-03-08 20:07     ` Anthony Tavener
From: Anthony Tavener @ 2013-03-08 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florent Monnier; +Cc: caml-list, Török Edwin

I certainly use OpenGL (mostly GLES2 subset)... but I'm not sure I would
have much to read or contribute. The OCaml-specific issues are essentially
bindings. And I've fallen down the path of using glcaml which I locally
change and add to. It's pretty much like using OpenGL from C except the
constants are lowercase.

However, it would be nice if there was an easy answer for a new user. I had
to flounder around with the existing bindings for a while. At the time,
shaders weren't well supported, which is why I chose glcaml. Also because
glcaml is a very minimal layer -- easy to change and add to. But I'd agree
it's probably the least tested (used) and least "OCaml".

I think there's merit for a means to discuss OpenGL bindings, maybe
ratifying them... starting from scratch, whatever. But when it comes to
users, there is plenty of OpenGL documentation and shouldn't really be
anything OCaml specific. Unless the bindings add/change a lot (in the
direction of LablGL).

@ 2013-03-11 16:12 ` Rich Neswold
From: Rich Neswold @ 2013-03-11 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florent Monnier; +Cc: OCaml List

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 12:27 PM, Florent Monnier
<monnier.florent@gmail.com>wrote:

> What would you think about creating an ocaml-opengl mailing list too?
> (for generic ocaml/opengl)
>
> Most camelers are not interested by the topic, so we could post more
> things about it there without fear of annoying other people.

I've toyed around with OpenGL and OCaml (using the Labgl bindings.) I want
to do more and would suscribe to a mailing list on this topic.

--
Rich

@ 2013-03-11 18:52   ` Yaron Minsky
From: Yaron Minsky @ 2013-03-11 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)