From: Jon Ludlam <jonathan.ludlam@eu.citrix.com>
To: <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: [Caml-list] opam and versions
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 14:42:12 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi all,

Firstly I'd like to add another voice in support of opam - it's been a
very pleasant experience using it despite it's beta status, and so many
of the developers here have become dependent on it that we're changing
our XenServer/XCP build system to build everything using it.

Before opam is officially announced (!) I'd like to raise an issue with
versioning which people may like to consider. Currently opam has several
ways of specifying the location of the source tarball for a package. By
custom, the packages are broadly categorised into rapidly developing
packages and stable packages. For rapidly developing packages, the
source is often set to be a pointer to github to the master branch,
often because no 'stable' version exists. For stable packages, the url
is often a pointer to a tarball on the developers website, or sometimes
a tagged release from github.

For our purposes, we need to be able to ensure that our builds are
reproducible, and hence need to know exactly which versions are
installed. We had hoped to achieve this by removing or disabling
packages whose sources were got directly from a master branch in github.
However, it turns out that some packages that are 'stable' are dependent
upon these packages, which seems brittle. The question is how to fix it?
Should the opam repository maintainers require that 'stable' packages
aren't dependent on 'unstable' ones? Should opam itself be aware of the
difference and enforce this policy? If someone really wants to release a
stable version of their thing and it's dependent upon an upstream
project with only a github repo, should the developer engage the
upstream devs and request at least a tag, or should they make their own
tarball/github fork?

Many of these questions are social rather than technical, hence I'm
posting to the general ocaml list.

Cheers,

Jon