* [Caml-list] [Batteries or Camlp4] Functionaly updating several fields in an object
@ 2012-10-23 12:24 Ivan Gotovchits
From: Ivan Gotovchits @ 2012-10-23 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I do not know whether the following behaviour is a bug or a feature, so
I've decided to consult with a community.

Given a simple definition:

let create ()  =
object
  val a = []
  val b = []
  method step = {< a = a; b = b; >}
end

when compiling using batteries extensions:

ocamlfind ocamlc -c -package batteries.syntax -package lablgtk2
-package lablgtk2.init -package oUnit -package threads -package uuidm
-syntax camlp4o -thread -package batteries -syntax camlp4o -I +gsl -I
+res -I +xml-light -I +lablgtk2 -I gui -o gui/bug.cmo gui/bug.ml

I'm receiving the following error:
File "gui/bug.ml", line 7, characters 10-11:
Warning S: this expression should have type unit.
File "gui/bug.ml", line 8, characters 6-11:
Error: This expression has type bool but an expression was expected of type
         'a list

It seems that compilet thinks that something like this:
«a = begin a; b = b end».

After disabling syntax extension everything is ok.

So the questions:
1) Is this a bug? If not, then how to overcome this unwanted behaviour?
2) If this is a bug? What must be blamed: camlp4 or Batteries?

Thanks in advance, for any comments!

P.S. My setup:
OS: Debian Squeeze 6.0.5
Objective Caml: 3.11.2
Batteries: 1.2.2-1

--
         (__)
         (oo)

* Re: [Caml-list] [Batteries or Camlp4] Functionaly updating several fields in an object
@ 2012-10-23 13:30 ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2012-10-23 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Gotovchits; +Cc: caml-list

It appears to be a parsing bug in the 3.11 version of Camlp4. It
happens neither with 3.10.2 or with more recent version.
(I was lucky to find a machine with 3.11.2 installed; it's good to
have rarely-updated servers around)

Steps to reproduce:
  camlp4o -str 'let _ = {< a = a; b = b >}'
Observed result:
  {< a = (a; b = b); >}

Upgrading to a more recent version of OCaml would solve your problem.
Otherwise, not using syntax extensions is also fine.

@ 2012-10-23 13:57   ` Ivan Gotovchits
From: Ivan Gotovchits @ 2012-10-23 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Scherer; +Cc: caml-list

Gabriel Scherer <gabriel.scherer@gmail.com> writes:

> It appears to be a parsing bug in the 3.11 version of Camlp4. It
> happens neither with 3.10.2 or with more recent version.
> (I was lucky to find a machine with 3.11.2 installed; it's good to
> have rarely-updated servers around)
>
> Steps to reproduce:
>   camlp4o -str 'let _ = {< a = a; b = b >}'
> Observed result:
>   {< a = (a; b = b); >}
>
> Upgrading to a more recent version of OCaml would solve your problem.
> Otherwise, not using syntax extensions is also fine.

Unfortunately, I cannot upgrade to a more recent version. Because I'm
restricted to use a certified software...

Though, many thanks for clarifying the issue!

--
         (__)
         (oo)

@ 2012-10-23 14:03     ` Edgar Friendly
From: Edgar Friendly @ 2012-10-23 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 10/23/2012 9:57 AM, Ivan Gotovchits wrote:
> Unfortunately, I cannot upgrade to a more recent version. Because I'm
> restricted to use a certified software... Though, many thanks for
> clarifying the issue!
Luckily, batteries works just fine without camlp4.  Many people,
including some of the main developers, use it without camlp4. Simply
remove the `batteries.syntax` dependency and only depend on `batteries`,
and the rest of batteries will work correctly.

E.