From: Fabrice Le Fessant <Fabrice.Le_fessant@inria.fr>
To: Gabriel Scherer <gabriel.scherer@gmail.com>
Cc: Louis Gesbert <louis.gesbert@ocamlpro.com>, caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] geany as an ocaml ide
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 13:47:56 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Gabriel,

   The goal of this editor is not to replace Emacs or VI, but to be part
of a minimal distribution under Windows (by OCamlPro): the idea is that
Windows users downloading OCaml should be able to start writing a simple
OCaml program without installing anything else. Of course, under
Linux/Mac OS X, or for bigger projects, they would be advised to use
more powerful editors (Emacs, Vim, Notepad++, etc.).

   Moreover, the two paradigms are not incompatible: you can imagine two
versions of the "editor", one version with an interface (GTK or
whatever) to interact with beginners, another version with a
argument/text interface, to interact with other editors, both providing
the same set of functionalities (indentation, coloring, documentation,
code navigation, etc.) through the same set of libraries, and why not a
Javascript version through js_of_ocaml...

--Fabrice