Hi Gabriel, The goal of this editor is not to replace Emacs or VI, but to be part of a minimal distribution under Windows (by OCamlPro): the idea is that Windows users downloading OCaml should be able to start writing a simple OCaml program without installing anything else. Of course, under Linux/Mac OS X, or for bigger projects, they would be advised to use more powerful editors (Emacs, Vim, Notepad++, etc.). Moreover, the two paradigms are not incompatible: you can imagine two versions of the "editor", one version with an interface (GTK or whatever) to interact with beginners, another version with a argument/text interface, to interact with other editors, both providing the same set of functionalities (indentation, coloring, documentation, code navigation, etc.) through the same set of libraries, and why not a Javascript version through js_of_ocaml... --Fabrice On 02/11/2013 01:14 PM, Gabriel Scherer wrote: > I must say I'm a bit dubious of dedicated editors: people prefer to > use the tools they're familiar with from other languages, and I'm not > really sure what the added value of a different tool would be. There > have been attempts to write editors for OCaml (Cameleon{,2}, zed ( > https://github.com/diml/zed )...), so far none of them really gained > traction. > > Volunteers work on whatever they fancy and I prefer not to interfere > negatively -- though it's unclear in this case whether this is a > personal side-project or an OCamlPro project. Moreover, all these > efforts have led to interesting byproducts: various libraries from > Cameleon (eg. ocaml-rss http://zoggy.github.com/ocamlrss/ ) and zed ( > and in particular the nice toplevel utop https://github.com/diml/utop > ). > > That said, I would still feel more enthusiastic about a project that > can be used with other tools people use ( this is a good property of > ocp-indent for example ), or directly improving OCaml support about > tools that already have a user base : syntax highlighting libraries > for various editors, etc. For example, Online Client-side > Javascript-implemented In-the-cloud programming editors are all the > rage now, they use a relatively small number of popular Javascript > edition engines under the hood, is there work to do to make sure OCaml > a first-class citizen there? > > On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 12:40 PM, Louis Gesbert > wrote: >> OCaml is definitely lacking in this area; I am at the moment working precisely >> on solving this issue, with a dedicated Gtk editor that runs on Linux, OSX and >> Windows. It is pretty basic at the moment but already has code edition and >> working toplevel interaction (no compilation or project yet). >> >> Release is intended in a few months from now, with sufficient features for >> beginners and students. If successful, it will then be extended to handle >> bigger projects (multi-file, build system integration, etc.). >> >> Until then, you may see the project's github page at >> https://github.com/OCamlPro/ocp-edit-simple (name temporary) >> >> -- >> Louis Gesbert, OCamlPro >> >> Le Monday 11 February 2013 01:49:41, Martin DeMello a écrit : >>> I spent some time last night going through all the "what is a good >>> (beginner's) ide for ocaml?" threads I could find online, and trying >>> out the various options suggested. I ruled out the following: >>> >>> * vim, emacs and eclipse (not beginner-friendly; people who want to >>> use them will know how to do it) >>> * anything that did not provide a binary install for Windows and OSX, >>> and wasn't a simple configure/make/make install on linux >>> * anything that needed fiddling with config files just to install it >>> * anything that needed the OCaml sources to be independently present >>> and configured (!) >>> * anything that was abandoned, or didn't seem to support OCaml 4 >>> >>> I was left with Geany and Komodo Edit as possibilities, and Geany won >>> out by letting me open up a test.ml file and immediately being able to >>> find and run the OCaml compiler. At least on Linux, it was a perfect >>> beginner-friendly experience. >>> >>> So what do people think about ocaml.org officially promoting Geany as >>> the answer to "I'm learning OCaml; what is a good IDE?"? I'd be happy >>> to write up a page on it and contribute it. >>> >>> martin >> >> -- >> Caml-list mailing list. Subscription management and archives: >> https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list >> Beginner's list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ocaml_beginners >> Bug reports: http://caml.inria.fr/bin/caml-bugs >