From: Olivier Levillain <olivier.levillain@ssi.gouv.fr>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] French study on security and functional languages
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 10:53:04 +0200	[thread overview]

> I was very glad to see the release of the Parsifal code onto Github too:
> https://github.com/ANSSI-FR/parsifal
>
> It looks like you have done a lot of the work required towards building
> a pure OCaml SSL and Kerberos stack, as well as DNS and SSH parsers in
> there too.  We were just discussing the lack of a pure OCaml SSL library
> for MirageOS (which already has a full reimplementation of device drivers
> and TCP/IP and HTTP, and is just missing the final SSL piece).

I'm glad to see you are interested in Parsifal. It was recently
published on GitHub and will be presented as a short paper at SSTIC 2013
(https://www.sstic.org/2013, not to be confused with SSTiC 2013).

However, this is still a project in development and I must warn you it
was first written to allow for writing quick and robust *parsers*. That
is why for the moment, the code essentially consists in the description
of some formats and protocols.  We are beginning to work on animating
the protocols, but this will need a lot of work to get done properly.

Concerning the protocols you cite, here is the status :
 - nearly all SSL/TLS messages and X.509 certificates are supported and
some test tools already exist (but only for the first handshake round-trip);
 - Kerberos as you see it in the repository is at a very early stage but
more commits are coming once I have time to review them;
 - DNS is working and I wrote a picodig version to make some requests
(but this one was easy: there is no real context in the protocol);
 - We have not yet worked on SSH but it would be a good idea.

Regards,
Olivier Levillain