From: William Smith <bills@emu-bark.com>
To: Caml-list <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: [Caml-list] Re: OCaml on Windows
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 09:52:49 -0400	[thread overview]

One major concern with using cygwin to compile ocamlc etc. is that the
resulting executables are subject to copy-left since it uses a DLL that
is distributed under GPL.

To quote from README.win32 in the top folder of the source:

(*) Cygwin-generated .exe files refer to a DLL that is distributed under
the GPL.  Thus, these .exe files can only be distributed under a license
that is compatible with the GPL.  Executables generated by MSVC or by
MinGW have no such restrictions.

There's a difference between using cygwin to build the system (in other
words, compile everything with gcc) vs. using cygwin to compile the
tools (in other words, use a cygwin shell to execute all of the
Makefile/Makefile.nt files and msvc or MinGW as the compiler).

I have been building ocaml with the MSVC compiler for quite a while.  I
use cygwin to run the shell and Makefiles in the build process.   I
don't use cygwin compilers or utilities (other than make) in my
production code.   I don't have any experience with the MinGW port.

I haven't done a thorough testing of all of the tools in OCaml-4.00.1
but I believe they all work.   [The only problem I have had is that I
have to manually block making the library otherlibs/labltk/browser.]

also, r.3@libertyserf.fr said:
 > Is anyone using omake on windows? Does it have a dependency on Cygwin
like ocamlbuild?

I believe that is false that ocamlbuild depends on cygwin.

Bill