From: Michel Mauny <Michel.Mauny@inria.fr>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] OCaml on zLinux
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2013 09:09:55 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi,

Richard W.M. Jones écrit/writes [04/07/2013 23:38] :
> On Thu, Jul 04, 2013 at 08:44:36AM +0200, Michel Mauny wrote:
>> Works out of the box, and has good performances. It does not support
>> yet dynamic loading, though.
>>
>> No known bug, but reports, comments and contributions (through github) are welcome.
>
> How plausible is writing an 'ocamlopt' wrapper that would just work?

For those who don't know OCamlCC, its primary usage is the following:

  ocamlcc main.byte

where main.byte is a bytecode executable produced by ocamlc. OCamlCC
first translates main.byte to a C file that #includes the OCaml
runtime, and calls gcc (or whatever C compiler you specified at config
time or using the -cc option) on it and produces an executable file
(a.out).

See the man page, or the OUD 2012 page for our short paper, slides and
presentation on a preliminary version of OCamlCC for more info:

   http://oud.ocaml.org/2012/#program

Back to the original question, it's easy to write a script that would
take a list of .ml files, compile them with ocamlc, and call ocamlcc
on the bytecode. One could probably be smarter in mimicking the
behavior of ocamlc to have separate compilation, and calling ocamlcc
at link time.

We will probably extend ocamlcc argument processing to OCaml source
files (.ml, .mli), and compile them with ocamlc.

Now, I don't think it would be a good idea to call this ocamlopt,
since ocamlcc is an extension of ocamlc compilation chain, whereas
ocamlopt is not.

Best,

--
Michel Mauny