From: blue storm <bluestorm.dylc@gmail.com>
To: Xavier Leroy <Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr>
Cc: Caml List <caml-list@yquem.inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] book "Le langage Caml"
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 15:21:09 +0200	[thread overview]

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 11:06 AM, Xavier Leroy<Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr> wrote:
> A few months ago, there was a discussion on this list about
> "Le langage Caml", an early book on Caml (Light) programming written
> by Pierre Weis and I.  The book was out of print, but the publisher,
> Dunod Éditions, graciously agreed to relinquish its rights and give
> them back to the authors.
>
> Pierre and I are therefore happy to announce that the full text of the
> book (2nd edition) is now available freely:
>
>   http://caml.inria.fr/pub/distrib/books/llc.pdf
>
> There was a companion book, "Manuel de référence du langage Caml",
> which is the French translation of the Caml Light 0.7 reference
> manual.  For completeness, we also made it available:
>
>  http://caml.inria.fr/pub/distrib/books/manuel-cl.pdf
>
> Both texts are distributed under the Creative Commons BY-NC-SA
> license.
>
> Enjoy,
>
> - Xavier Leroy

That's great. This book is still, in my opinion, the best introduction
to Caml for programming beginners.

When we discussed the matter a few months ago [1], there was an
interest in an english translation, or an update to Objective Caml. A
translation would be a huge undertaking, but I suspect that updating
the book to Objective Caml should not be so difficult, and I would be
happy to collaborate to such an effort.

Is there a possibility to get the document in an editable format ?

[1] archive : http://groups.google.com/group/fa.caml/browse_thread/thread/acbd0dfaec8f1e8e/8884d70558fa8ea2?lnk=gst&q=LLC+book#8884d70558fa8ea2