* ocamlopt stack overflowing
@ 2005-05-23 21:06 Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2005-05-23 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I've got a problem with ocamlopt stack overflowing on some generated OCaml
source (one 1,227-line function, 288kB of source). Any ideas what the cause
is?

I suspect that compiling the OCaml distribution from source and using
ocamlopt.opt will do the trick otherwise.

Objective CAML for Scientists

* Re: [Caml-list] ocamlopt stack overflowing
@ 2005-05-23 22:45 ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2005-05-23 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Harrop; +Cc: caml-list

On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 10:06:59PM +0100, Jon Harrop wrote:

> I've got a problem with ocamlopt stack overflowing on some generated OCaml
> source (one 1,227-line function, 288kB of source). Any ideas what the cause
> is?
>
> I suspect that compiling the OCaml distribution from source and using
> ocamlopt.opt will do the trick otherwise.

We've seen this before (on Windows) and the solution was

export OCAMLRUNPARAM=l=16M

(for reasons which I forget now, we were using the bytecode ocamlopt,
not ocamlopt.opt).

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.

* Re: [Caml-list] ocamlopt stack overflowing
@ 2005-05-24  1:10   ` Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2005-05-24  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Monday 23 May 2005 23:45, Richard Jones wrote:
> On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 10:06:59PM +0100, Jon Harrop wrote:
> > I've got a problem with ocamlopt stack overflowing on some generated
> > OCaml source (one 1,227-line function, 288kB of source). Any ideas what
> > the cause is?
> >
> > I suspect that compiling the OCaml distribution from source and using
> > ocamlopt.opt will do the trick otherwise.
>
> We've seen this before (on Windows) and the solution was
>
> export OCAMLRUNPARAM=l=16M
>
> (for reasons which I forget now, we were using the bytecode ocamlopt,
> not ocamlopt.opt).

It turns out that ocamlopt.opt segfaults on some of this code so I'm using
your (better!) solution instead. Thank you. :-)

Incidentally, should that be "CAMLRUNPARAM" instead of "OCAMLRUNPARAM"?

@ 2005-05-24  9:58     ` Damien Doligez
From: Damien Doligez @ 2005-05-24  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml users

On May 24, 2005, at 03:10, Jon Harrop wrote:
> Incidentally, should that be "CAMLRUNPARAM" instead of "OCAMLRUNPARAM"?

I think it should be RTFM.

-- Damien