From: "Yaron Minsky" <yminsky@cs.cornell.edu>
To: "Xavier Leroy" <xavier.leroy@inria.fr>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Weird behavior with nan's and min/max
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 10:01:25 -0400 (EDT)	[thread overview]

Your explanation matches my general understanding of the bug, and why it's
hard to fix.  One thing that I think should be fixed, though, is the
documentation.  This is really a surprising little bug, and it would be
nice to have it mentioned in the documentation somewhere, perhaps as a
footnote of sorts to the definition of equality.

Here's a related question:  how to test if a float is nan efficiently?  I
know two ways: seeing if it's not equal to itself, and using
Pevasives.classify_float.  The performance difference is pretty
interesting.  Here are the performance results I got for 100,000
iterations.

Time for classify nan : 0.001205 secs
Time for classify norm: 0.001205 secs
Time for eqtest nan   : 0.093635 secs
Time for eqtest norm  : 0.000302 secs

I'm quite surprised that the equality test is so slow on nan's.  Is this
just a feature of x86 hardware?  Are there any other options for testing
for nan-ness?