* documentation on ocamlopt backend
@ 2005-12-10  1:57 Ted Kremenek
From: Ted Kremenek @ 2005-12-10  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I'm potentially interested in writing a new backend target for
ocamlopt.  I looked around in the Ocaml distribution subdirectory
"asmcomp" (which is where the target-specific portion of the backend
appears to be implemented), but there is not very much documentation
there.  In particular, I'm interested in generating assembly that
will be piped through an assembler that is not "as."

Is this (readily) feasible?  Just curious.

Thanks in advance.

- Ted

* Re: [Caml-list] documentation on ocamlopt backend
@ 2005-12-10 14:23 ` David Baelde
From: David Baelde @ 2005-12-10 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

2005/12/10, Ted Kremenek <kremenek@cs.stanford.edu>:
> I'm potentially interested in writing a new backend target for
> ocamlopt.  I looked around in the Ocaml distribution subdirectory
> "asmcomp" (which is where the target-specific portion of the backend
> appears to be implemented), but there is not very much documentation
> there.  In particular, I'm interested in generating assembly that
> will be piped through an assembler that is not "as."

I back this kind of request! I would be very interesting in re-using
parts of the compiler, and I believe many people would like to re-use
or change several parts of OCaml compiler. It would be great to have
somebody with a decent knowledge of the compiler put it down. Maybe
somebody did it already ?

--
David