From: Alain Frisch <alain@frisch.fr>
To: Mark Shinwell <mshinwell@janestreet.com>
Cc: Yaron Minsky <yminsky@janestreet.com>,
	 Gerd Stolpmann <info@gerd-stolpmann.de>,
	Bob Zhang <bobzhang1988@gmail.com>,
	Caml List <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] improve omake [was One build system to rule them all]
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 22:12:26 +0200	[thread overview]

On 9/23/2014 12:58 PM, Mark Shinwell wrote:
> I think the details are hazy now, but as far as we recall: your
> statement about avoiding recomputation is correct, but a lot of md5sum
> work happened subsequent to each compilation action in serial, within
> the omake process.

Ok, this could affect total compilation built time, not startup (and
total time when nothing needs to be rebuilt).

> By no means was this the only problem; another, for example, was a
> vast amount of time spent constructing rules for an entire tree even
> if only a small portion was being demanded to be built.

Ok.  Do you remember if you had some clue about the source of
inefficiency (evaluator, data structure to represent the environment, etc)?

> (Of course, the worst problem with omake was probably the DSL, which
> we found to be wholly unsuitable for large-scale reliable rule
> engineering.  Programmability really is key.)

YMMV.  LexiFi's experience with the omake DSL is that even if sometime
annoying, it's possible to achieve a reasonable effect with some
efforts.  At least, the issues with the DSL did not compensate the other
nice properties of omake.  I assume that other groups have functional
build systems implemented with omake as well, so if people working on
omake can improve its performances, it would be an immediate gain.
That's not to say that we don't keep an eye open on alternative build
systems such as Jenga (but switching an entire project to a different
build system is a daunting task, of course).

Alain