* [Caml-list] [ANN] OCamp - Reactive programming in the shell
@ 2015-04-01 20:32 Frédéric Bour
From: Frédéric Bour @ 2015-04-01 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

OCamp extends unix shells with constructions to express memoization,
sharing of computations and reactive programming.

# Subcommands

## fire

Just wrap a unix command with "ocamp fire" to enable the extension:
   $ ocamp fire bash

This will spawn a new bash session where the following subcommands are
enabled.

## hipp

   $ ocamp hipp <command>

Will memoize the output and exit status of <command>.
Later calls to the same <command> won't lead to actual execution, but
just to a duplication of its previous output.
Concurrent calls to <command> will just share the same process, the
beginning of the output being replayed to later callers.

The identity of a command is defined by its arguments and working
directory.

## stir

   $ ocamp stir <command>

Indicate potential changes in the output if <command> was rerun.
Later calls to `hipp` will recompute <command> as if it was not yet
memoized.

## (un)follow

   $ ocamp follow <command>

First, <command> is memoized if it was not the case yet.
Then changes to dependencies of <command> will trigger a reevaluation.
Use `stir` to notify a change.

(to follow is an hipp/stir reactivity).

## pull

   $ ocamp pull <command>

Closely related to `hipp`, but instead of marking dependency on the
output of <command>, the dependency applies to the "effects" of <command>.

Thus, if `stir` is used:
- all pullers will be reevaluated.
- hippers will be reevaluated only if the output is different.

## Summary

   $ ocamp fire <command> - setup a new session alive until <command> exits
           pull <command> - mark dependency on effects of <command>
           hipp <command> - mark dependency on output of <command>
           stir <command> - notify that <command> might have been updated
           follow <command> - eval <command>, and reactively recompute it
                              whenever one of its dependencies change.
           unfollow <command> - stop recomputing <command> when
dependencies
                                change

hipp and pull provide memoization.
stir and follow bring a flavor of reactive programming.

# Examples

## Fibonacci

   $ cat fib.sh
   #!/bin/sh
   ARG="$1"
   if [ "$ARG" -le 1 ]; then
     echo "$ARG"
   else
     A=`ocamp hipp ./fib.sh $((ARG-1))`
     B=`ocamp hipp ./fib.sh $((ARG-2))`
     echo $((A+B))
   fi

   $ time ocamp fire ./fib.sh 50
   12586269025
     real    0m0.391s
   user    0m0.153s
   sys     0m0.060s

## Build-system

`ocamp` provides simple primitives to construct and manage a dependency
graph.

This might be a saner foundation to base a build-system on than make(1):
- the command focus on one specific problem
- no dsl is involved; rules can be plain unix commands, including a
shell, rather than a make-flavored simulation of shell
- nothing is provided for resolving goals; indeed this is better left to
tools specifically built for goal-search.

A quick'n'dirty script building ocamp itself is provided as an example.

# Future

The current release is a proof-of-concept and should be considered alpha
quality.
The two features planned next are a way to make the graph persistent
(all data is kept in memory atm) and an interface to debug and/or
observe graph construction.

Note: code is undergoing legal review and should be available soon \o/

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] OCamp - Reactive programming in the shell
@ 2015-04-02 10:38 ` Frédéric Bour
From: Frédéric Bour @ 2015-04-02 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Code is finally available at:
     https://github.com/def-lkb/ocamp

Sorry for the little delay!

@ 2015-04-02 12:19   ` Anthony Tavener
From: Anthony Tavener @ 2015-04-02 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frédéric Bour; +Cc: caml-list

Hah! You were serious? I thought with commands like hipp and stir, and your
legal review notice at the end, that this was an April Fool's joke. :)

@ 2015-04-02 12:58     ` Frédéric Bour
From: Frédéric Bour @ 2015-04-02 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Tavener; +Cc: caml-list