From: Helmut Brandl <helmut.brandl@gmx.net>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] js_of_ocaml with node
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 16:16:55 -0500	[thread overview]

On 04/27/2015 04:02 PM, Sébastien Dailly wrote:
> Le 27/04/2015 22:32, Helmut Brandl a écrit :
>
>> I achieved the compilation to javascript which can run under nodejs as
>> long as I don't use anything from the unix library. Unfortunately I need
>> two functions from the unix library: 1. Get the last modification time
>> of a file. 2. Create a directory. I cannot find anything equivalent in
>> the standard library.
>
> This a javascript limitation, not a js_of_ocaml one. I think (and
> hope) there is no such possibilities with standard javascript to
> create directories on the client fs. (and this would be a great
> security flaw if browsers would allow that).
Maybe I have been misunderstood. I am not trying to run my code in a
browser and access the client fs from the browers. My software package
is compiled to bytecode of native using the ocam compiler. All I want to
do is to create a javascript version and run it under nodejs (which runs
on the client machine) to provide user which don't have an installed
ocaml compiler suite on their machine to run my software package.

Note that nodejs has full access to the filesystem like any other
program written in any programming language like C, ocaml, java, scala,...