* [Caml-list] releasing and publishing an OCaml program
@ 2015-10-16 18:24 David CHEMOUIL
From: David CHEMOUIL @ 2015-10-16 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

I am looking for a self-contained, to the point, documentation or
tutorial detailing steps, or even commands and scripts to run in order
to release and publish an OCaml-programmed piece of software.

I guess it partly depends on one's way to develop and organize his or
her code base. Still I also guess there are common steps followed by a
fair amount of people.

As far as we are concerned for our project, we rely on OCaml code
solely, plus Opam-installed tools (e.g. Menhir) and libraries; plus
Oasis and Ocamlbuild. Our development is hosted on a Git repo.

So common tasks we'd like to automate are quite simple: adding the
commit number and/or a build number in the OCaml source code (e.g. to
display it when running the program), to display a git tag corresponding
perhaps to a human-readable version number, publishing the progam on
Opam, maybe even publishing a compiled version as a Debian package... As
far as possible we'd like to avoid reinventing the wheel as well as
duplicating information already present in a file (e.g. the _oasis file
contains some data).

After some web searching, I was able to find real projects as examples
as well as some partial (good) tutorials but it would be nice if there
was a single documentation or bunch of scripts to address these rather
common requirements.

Best

dc

--
David Chemouil // Onera/DTIM Toulouse // tel:+33-5-6225-2936
<http://www.onera.fr/staff/david-chemouil>