From: "Armaël Guéneau" <armael.gueneau@ens-lyon.fr>
To: Jeremie Dimino <jdimino@janestreet.com>
Cc: caml-list <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Custom toplevel and ocamlbuild
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 17:42:49 +0000	[thread overview]

It sounds better to put "Foo" at the beginning of myutop.mltop
indeed! However, it still doesn't work here (same thing, the
toplevel cannot access Foo).

What is super super weird is that if I manually run the build commands
_that ocamlbuild lists in the terminal_, which are:

    ocamlfind ocamlc -c -thread -package threads,utop -o foo.cmo foo.ml
    ocamlfind ocamlc -c -thread -package threads,utop -o myutop_main.cmo
myutop_main.ml
    ocamlfind ocamlmktop -linkpkg -thread -package threads,utop -package
threads,utop foo.cmo myutop_main.cmo -o myutop.top

this time, it works...

This smells like $PATH issues or something related to my setup, but I
triple-checked and I don't see where this could come from...

On 24/11/15 17:14, Jeremie Dimino wrote:
> Did you try adding "Foo" at the beginning of myutop.mltop? foo.cmo  > needs to come before myutop_main.cmo and I suppose that ocamlbuild >
puts the cmo in the same order as the one specified in the .mltop >
unless the dependencies force reordering. > > The reason foo.cmo needs
to come before is that OCaml run the > initialization code of linked
compilation units in the same order they > are specified on the command
line and the toplevel can only see > modules that have been initialized.
 > Myutop_main contains the entry point of the toplevel - i.e. the call
 > to the interactive loop - so the toplevel doesn't have access to
units > that are linked after myutop_main.cmo. That's also the reason
why you > can't access Myutop_main from the custom toplevel. > > On Tue,
Nov 24, 2015 at 4:58 PM, Armaël Guéneau > <armael.gueneau@ens-lyon.fr>
wrote: >> Hi list, >> >> I was trying to build a custom toplevel,
bundled with my custom >> modules, and encountered a few issues. >> >>
Following the last advice given by gasche on this reddit post >>
https://www.reddit.com/r/ocaml/comments/3qjs1q/utop_is_a_much_better_toplevel_than_ocaml_if_you/cwisrrj
 >> I copy-pasted the files from examples/custom-utop, added a foo.ml
file >> containing "let x = 3", and added "Foo" at the end of
myutop.mltop. >> >> Then, if I compile the custom toplevel using the
provided Makefile >> (which simply uses ocamlbuild and the builtin rule
for .mltop files, I >> guess), the toplevel produced does not have
access to the Foo module. >> >> However, if I manually build using
ocamlfind ocamlmktop: >> >>   ocamlfind ocamlmktop -o myutop -thread
-linkpkg -package utop foo.cmo >> myutop_main.cmo >> >> this time, it
works, and `myutop` has access to Foo. >> >> Is the default ocamlbuild
rule for building .mltop files missing some >> option?  Am I doing
something wrong? >> >> — Armaël >> >> -- >> Caml-list mailing list.
Subscription management and archives: >>
https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list >> Beginner's list:
http://caml.inria.fr/bin/caml-bugs > > >