* [Caml-list] muti-core programming
@ 2016-03-09  9:50 刘坚
From: 刘坚 @ 2016-03-09  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

         I’m recently writing a formal verification tool in OCaml, and it
works really well, but I’m considering writing a concurrent version.
However, until now, there seems to be no way to write programs that take
advantage of multi-cores. So, I’m wondering when will OCaml support
multi-core programming? Or else, do I have other choices by using some
external extensions of OCaml instead of the standard library?

Thanks,

Jian

* Re: [Caml-list] muti-core programming
@ 2016-03-09 10:07 ` Francois Berenger
From: Francois Berenger @ 2016-03-09 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 03/09/2016 10:50 AM, 刘坚 wrote:
> Hi,
>
>           I’m recently writing a formal verification tool in OCaml, and
> it works really well, but I’m considering writing a concurrent version.
> However, until now, there seems to be no way to write programs that take
> advantage of multi-cores.

To accelerate something, probably you want paralellism, not concurrency.

I recomend parmap, but there are some other libraries out there
too for that purpose (in opam: forkwork and probably others I don't know).

But be careful that too fine granularity calculations don't parallelize
well.
For example, if you are analyzing source code, maybe analyzing
distinct files in parallel would be a coarse enough granularity.

--
Regards,
Francois.

* Re: [Caml-list] muti-core programming
@ 2016-03-09 10:23   ` Mohamed Iguernlala
From: Mohamed Iguernlala @ 2016-03-09 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

Functory may be suitable as well
(http://opam.ocaml.org/packages/functory/functory.0.5/)

--
Mohamed Iguernlala.
Senior R&D Engineer, OCamlPro SAS

@ 2016-03-09 11:04     ` Francois Berenger
From: Francois Berenger @ 2016-03-09 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 03/09/2016 11:23 AM, Mohamed Iguernlala wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Functory may be suitable as well
> (http://opam.ocaml.org/packages/functory/functory.0.5/)

and maybe lwt-parallel by Ivan Gotovchits or
procord by Cryptosense; all available libraries in opam.

--
Regards,
Francois.

* Re: [Caml-list] muti-core programming