From: octachron <octa@polychoron.fr>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] what does let () = ... define?
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 20:00:50 +0100	[thread overview]

Maybe defining is not the right word here. An alternative explanation
would be that "let" binds variables in the pattern on the left in order
to match the expression on the right. For instance, the following exotic
expression:

# type alt = Left of int | Right of int
# let (Left a|Right a) = Left 0;;
- : val a: int

is valid and binds the variable "a" to the value 0.

Since there is no variable to be bound in "()" or any constructor
without argument,

just computes the expression on the right and does not bind anything on
the left.

Note that in some way, the toplevel is already telling you that, since

has no output compared to

# ();;
  - : unit = ()

which prints the value of the constructor ().

− octachron