* [Caml-list] flambda optimization settings
@ 2016-05-12 16:13 Nils Becker
From: Nils Becker @ 2016-05-12 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

hi,

i'm happy to report one more data point on flambda speedup.

(best of 3, wall clock time, 4 cores running with parmap)
-Oclassic 18.5s
-O2 	  17.0s
-O3	  14.2s

so, a nice 20% speedup with no work.

this brings me to my question: given that O2 vs O3 does seem to matter,
is it actually important at what optimization level linked libraries are
compiled on a +flambda switch?
who controls that, the package author or the user?

n.

ps, full disclosure:

this is based on code that does stochastic simulation (basically
euler-maruyama forward integration), uses Gsl for heavy random number
generation but also does some floating point arithmetic in the inner
loop, and uses exceptions as part of control flow.