* [Caml-list] ocaml-classes-3.05
@ 2002-08-05  6:45 Jacques Garrigue
From: Jacques Garrigue @ 2002-08-05  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

O'Caml classes 3.05 is now available at

  http://wwwfun.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/soft/olabl/classes/
  ftp://ftp.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/pub/lang/olabl/ocaml-classes-3.05.tar.gz
  ftp://ftp.inria.fr/lang/caml-light/bazar-ocaml/ocaml-classes-3.05.tar.gz

This is a small library of wrappers around standard library classes,
to allow a somehow object-oriented use.
Since ocaml 3.05, collection classes have also polymorphic fold
methods.

Jacques Garrigue      Kyoto University     garrigue at kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp
		<A HREF=http://wwwfun.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~garrigue/>JG</A>

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml-classes-3.05
@ 2002-08-05 18:18 ` Oleg
From: Oleg @ 2002-08-05 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Monday 05 August 2002 02:45 am, Jacques Garrigue wrote:
> O'Caml classes 3.05 is now available at
>
>   http://wwwfun.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/soft/olabl/classes/
>   ftp://ftp.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/pub/lang/olabl/ocaml-classes-3.05.tar.gz
>   ftp://ftp.inria.fr/lang/caml-light/bazar-ocaml/ocaml-classes-3.05.tar.gz
>
> This is a small library of wrappers around standard library classes,
> to allow a somehow object-oriented use.

Jacques, what are the advantages of using the OO wrappers over the
corresponding modules from the standard distribution?

Thanks
Oleg

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml-classes-3.05
@ 2002-08-05 19:27   ` John Prevost
From: John Prevost @ 2002-08-05 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleg; +Cc: caml-list

    oi> Jacques, what are the advantages of using the OO wrappers over
    oi> the corresponding modules from the standard distribution?

An example that's occurred to me in the past: OO wrappers for the I/O
routines would be very good if you want to be able to introduce your
own varieties of streams, and use common code over all of them.

John.

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml-classes-3.05
@ 2002-08-06  0:13   ` Jacques Garrigue
From: Jacques Garrigue @ 2002-08-06  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: oleg_inconnu; +Cc: caml-list

From: Oleg <oleg_inconnu@myrealbox.com>
> > O'Caml classes 3.05 is now available at
> >
> >   http://wwwfun.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/soft/olabl/classes/
> >   ftp://ftp.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/pub/lang/olabl/ocaml-classes-3.05.tar.gz
> >   ftp://ftp.inria.fr/lang/caml-light/bazar-ocaml/ocaml-classes-3.05.tar.gz
> >
> > This is a small library of wrappers around standard library classes,
> > to allow a somehow object-oriented use.
>
> Jacques, what are the advantages of using the OO wrappers over the
> corresponding modules from the standard distribution?

None.
You don't get more features.
But it felt strange at the beginning to have an OO languages with no
basic classes. So I quickly wrote those, and apparently some people
are using them. They may like the oo syntax, or the customizability.

Jacques Garrigue

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml-classes-3.05
@ 2002-08-06  0:49     ` james woodyatt
From: james woodyatt @ 2002-08-06  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacques Garrigue; +Cc: oleg_inconnu, caml-list

On Monday, Aug 5, 2002, at 17:13 US/Pacific, Jacques Garrigue wrote:
> From: Oleg <oleg_inconnu@myrealbox.com>
>>
>> Jacques, what are the advantages of using the OO wrappers over the
>> corresponding modules from the standard distribution?
>
> None.
> You don't get more features.

Actually... not true.  You get the ability to override the methods by
inheritance.  In exchange for this feature, you pay a not insignificant
cost in initialization time and program codespace.  Whether this trade
is a good one is open to interpretation.

> But it felt strange at the beginning to have an OO languages with no
> basic classes. So I quickly wrote those, and apparently some people
> are using them. They may like the oo syntax, or the customizability.

It felt strange to me at first too.  The feeling eventually passed when
I fully understood what is really easier to do with classes and class
types than with modules, signatures and functors.

My advice: Use the most basic syntax the language provides to do the
basics.  Use objects and methods only when functions (including
higher-order functions) are insufficient.

--james