* OcaML & UML
@ 2007-08-02 11:54 Ed Keith
From: Ed Keith @ 2007-08-02 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

A potential client requires that the system be
documented in UML, but do not specify what language it
will be implemented in. I have used UML to document
C++ and Java, and know UML is supposed to be
implementation language independent, but am concerned
that the impedance mismatch with Ocaml may make it
impractical to combine UML and Ocaml. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

   -EdK

Ed Keith
e_d_k@yahoo.com

Blog: edkeith.blogspot.com

* Re: [Caml-list] OcaML & UML
@ 2007-08-02 12:12 ` Erik de Castro Lopo
From: Erik de Castro Lopo @ 2007-08-02 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Ed Keith wrote:

> A potential client requires that the system be
> documented in UML, but do not specify what language it
> will be implemented in. I have used UML to document
> C++ and Java, and know UML is supposed to be
> implementation language independent, but am concerned
> that the impedance mismatch with Ocaml may make it
> impractical to combine UML and Ocaml. Any thoughts?

Well since UML is designed specifically for object modelling
and that the vast majority of Ocaml code I have seen and write
myself is functional rather than object oriented, this looks
like a match made in hell :-).

Erik
Erik de Castro Lopo
"I'd crawl over an acre of 'Visual This++' and 'Integrated
Development That' to get to gcc, Emacs, and gdb.  Thank you."
-- Vance Petree

* Re: [Caml-list] OcaML & UML
@ 2007-08-02 12:39 ` Christophe TROESTLER
From: Christophe TROESTLER @ 2007-08-02 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 04:54:16 -0700 (PDT), Ed Keith wrote:

> A potential client requires that the system be
> documented in UML, but do not specify what language it
> will be implemented in. I have used UML to document
> C++ and Java, and know UML is supposed to be
> implementation language independent, but am concerned
> that the impedance mismatch with Ocaml may make it
> impractical to combine UML and Ocaml. Any thoughts?

Maybe you will find the following discussion useful:
<http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/1828>.  As somebidy said:

  [...] you could use UML to model a system you plan to implement with
  FP: use class diagrams for modules, data members for data types and
  methods for functions.

Cheers,
ChriS