* [Caml-list] Free VC++ compiler for the Native Win32 Port Built With MS Visual C?
@ 2004-10-07  6:27 Zeno
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Zeno @ 2004-10-07  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I am on a Win2k system and do not have Visual Studio.  I am interested
in generating native code in native mode.  I wonder if anyone could
tell me if one of the versions available on the net will allow me to
use the native Win32 port built with MS Visual C?

   Visual C++ 2005 Express Beta
      http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/visualc/default.aspx
   Visual C++ 2003 Toolkit
      http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/

Also, if only the 2003 Toolkit would work, would I need to install the
SDK?
      http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupdate/

If MASM doesn't come with them, I think the readme file in the
downloads section gives me plenty of options there.  I'm just not sure
if these .NET compilers will work or even if I am limited to a certain
version of VC++.

Thank you,
   -- Zeno

* Re: [Caml-list] Free VC++ compiler for the Native Win32 Port Built With MS Visual C?
@ 2004-10-07  7:19 ` Erik de Castro Lopo
From: Erik de Castro Lopo @ 2004-10-07  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 23:27:05 -0700
Zeno <zenem@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I am on a Win2k system and do not have Visual Studio.  I am interested
> in generating native code in native mode.

Is there any reason why you aren't using the pre-built binaries?

> I wonder if anyone could
> tell me if one of the versions available on the net will allow me to
> use the native Win32 port built with MS Visual C?

Why not just used the MinGW compiler?

    http://www.mingw.org/

This is free as in speech compiler unlike the microsoft one which
is only free as in beer.

This is the compiler that INRIA use to compile one of the win32
binary packages available on the INRIA web site.

Erik

* Re: [Caml-list] Free VC++ compiler for the Native Win32 Port Built With MS Visual C?
@ 2004-10-07  8:04 ` lehalle@miriad
From: lehalle@miriad @ 2004-10-07  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zeno, caml-list

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 23:27:05 -0700, Zeno <zenem@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I am on a Win2k system and do not have Visual Studio.  I am interested
> in generating native code in native mode.  I wonder if anyone could
> tell me if one of the versions available on the net will allow me to
> use the native Win32 port built with MS Visual C?
>
>    Visual C++ 2005 Express Beta
>       http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/visualc/default.aspx
>    Visual C++ 2003 Toolkit
>       http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/
>
> Also, if only the 2003 Toolkit would work, would I need to install the
> SDK?
>       http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupdate/

I am in the same situation, but under winXP.
All that I tried (and succeeded, thanks to email help from Nicolas
Cannasse) is to use ODLL, with microsoft visual compiler and linker steps.
I used XPSP2 PSDK (for libs and headers) and Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 (for
cl.exe and link.exe).

http://www.lehalle.net/clog/index.php?menu=display&table=clog_news&exact=141

hoping it can help you.

--
Charles-Albert Lehalle --- MIRIAD Technologies
Responsable Projets Avancés

* Re: [Caml-list] Free VC++ compiler for the Native Win32 Port Built With MS Visual C?
@ 2004-10-07  8:06 ` Alain Frisch
From: Alain Frisch @ 2004-10-07  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zeno; +Cc: Caml list

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, Zeno wrote:

> I am on a Win2k system and do not have Visual Studio.  I am interested
> in generating native code in native mode.  I wonder if anyone could
> tell me if one of the versions available on the net will allow me to
> use the native Win32 port built with MS Visual C?

Here is a brief report of my experience with this issue:

http://caml.inria.fr/archives/200404/msg00823.html

-- Alain

* Re: [Caml-list] Free VC++ compiler for the Native Win32 Port Built With MS Visual C?
@ 2004-10-07 17:57   ` Shivkumar Chandrasekaran
From: Shivkumar Chandrasekaran @ 2004-10-07 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On a related note:

Someone mentioned the mingw toolchain as an alternative. My problem is
that apparently if you want to use camlidl on Windows platform you
*have* to use the MS toolchain. Is there any way to use camlidl with
cygwin (preferably) or mingw?

Thanks,

--shiv--

@ 2004-10-09  9:31     ` Dmitry Bely
From: Dmitry Bely @ 2004-10-09  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Shivkumar Chandrasekaran <shiv@ece.ucsb.edu> writes:

> Someone mentioned the mingw toolchain as an alternative. My problem is
> that apparently if you want to use camlidl on Windows platform you
> *have* to use the MS toolchain. Is there any way to use camlidl with
> cygwin (preferably) or mingw?

Yes, some time ago I have made changes to camlidl sources that allow to
compile it with mingw/cygwin-built Ocaml. All Win32 functionality is
supported including building COM DLLs. I can publish the patch to CVS
version of ocamlidl if you are interested.

- Dmitry Bely

* Re: [Caml-list] Free VC++ compiler for the Native Win32 Port Built With MS Visual C?
@ 2004-10-10  1:19       ` Shivkumar Chandrasekaran
From: Shivkumar Chandrasekaran @ 2004-10-10  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Bely; +Cc: caml-list

That would be wonderful. Could you please publish the patches? Thanks,

--shiv--