* Re: [Caml-list] Naming polymorphic variant types
@ 2002-08-22  0:04 Nick Alexander
From: Nick Alexander @ 2002-08-22  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> From: "Nick Alexander" <nalexander@amavi.com>
>> Now, can anyone point me at docs about polymorphic records?  I can't
>> find a thing :(  They were mentioned in the 3.05 release notes as'-
>> Support for polymorphic methods and record fields.'
>> which could be an extension of the object-based polymorphic records or
>> a really useful extension like the polymorphic variants.
>
> Oops, you didn't parser the above sentence correctly.
> What 3.05 adds is "polymorphic methods" and "polymorphic record
> fields", but not "polymorphic records" (you still have to simulate them
> with objects).  Polymorphic record fields are shortly described in the
> core language part of the tutorial; they provide explicit
> polymorhism at the record field level, which may be light than going
> through objects and methods.

Heh, that's what I thought.  Oh well... maybe there is a way to do what I
want anyway.  Let's say I have a record, say {a:int; b:int; c:int}.  I
wish to have a function that returns sub-records, say {a:int; b:int} or
{b:int; c:int}.  However, I don't want to (and can't, if I recall, due to
name clashes) declare all the sub record types.  So I was hoping for
something pretty such as the polymorphic variants.  I don't see how this
situation can be faked with objects -- objects (and classes) are even more
heavy than record types!  By heavy, I mean that I cannot create a new
object type with just the right methods on the fly, I must first declare
the class type, etc.  It seems like polymorphic row variables are _so_
close, but I certainly don't understand enough type/category theory to
extend the system myself.

Am I out of luck?

Nick

* [Caml-list] Naming polymorphic variant types
@ 2002-08-21  4:22 Nick Alexander
From: Nick Alexander @ 2002-08-21  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi all,

Here's a file...

module type TEST = sig
  type outer = [`A | `B]
  type inner = [`B]

  val x : outer -> outer
  val y : inner
end

module Test : TEST = struct
  type outer = [`A | `B]
  and inner = [`B]

  let x o = match o with
  | `A -> `A
  | `B -> `A

  let y = `B
end

let p = Test.y
let q = Test.x p

That when evaluated, produces...

# #use "C:/Program Files/Objective Caml/test.ml";;
module type TEST =
  sig
    type outer = [ `A | `B]
    and inner = [ `B]
    val x : outer -> outer
    val y : inner
  end
module Test : TEST
val p : Test.inner = `B
File "C:/Program Files/Objective Caml/sql5.ml", line 21, characters 15-16:
This expression has type Test.inner = [ `B] but is here used with type
  Test.outer = [ `A | `B]
The first variant type does not allow tag(s) `A

I'm confused.  Can I get an explanation for why the parameter to a
function with a sum variant type needs all summands to be possible
arguments?  I'm sure I'm misunderstanding the subtyping relationship, but
I can't hack it.  This all grew out of a desire to document code by naming
polymorphic variant types, a questionable capability at best.
Any light appreciated,
Nick Alexander