From: james woodyatt <jhw@wetware.com>
To: The Trade <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Re: Continuations
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 00:13:16 -0800	[thread overview]

On Monday, Dec 16, 2002, at 05:36 US/Pacific, Diego Olivier Fernandez
Pons wrote:
> "Michaël Grünewald" <michael-grunewald@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>>
>> [continuations] Are not they possible ? If I remember well (I did
>> not check it back), the following sample do what is called
>> `Programming with rupture and continuation' (I learned it from J.
>> Chazarin "Programmer avec Scheme").
>
> [...] Philip Wadler a écrit un certain nombre d'articles sur les
> rapports
> entre continuations et monades. Enfin, si j'ai bonne mémoire Benjamin
> C.  Pierce a posté dans la liste Caml il y a quelque temps une série
> de liens en rapport avec les continuations.

Another paper that I found exceedingly helpful in this regard is this
one:

	<http://www.math.chalmers.se/~augustss/AFP/monads.html>

Of course, all the code in that paper is written in some Haskell
variant that I can't identify with complete accuracy.  But scroll down
to the section about the continuation monad, and then watch how it can
be used as the basis of more complicated monads.

I've found that equivalent code in Ocaml is not terribly difficult to
write.  It does tend to make you wish for something to let you define
overloaded operators, but you can get by fine without.

--
j h woodyatt <jhw@wetware.com>
markets are only free to the people who own them.