From: Adrien <camaradetux@gmail.com>
To: "Gerd Stolpmann" <info@gerd-stolpmann.de>
Cc: caml-list <caml-list@inria.fr>,
	godi-list <godi-list@ocaml-programming.de>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] GODI News: RocketBoost Beta
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 23:42:02 +0200	[thread overview]

2008/6/15 Gerd Stolpmann <info@gerd-stolpmann.de>:

> Am Sonntag, den 15.06.2008, 18:32 +0200 schrieb Adrien:
>> Hi,
>>
>> First, thanks for your work for the windows platform.
>>
>> I've just tried this beta. Overall it worked quite well (it compiled
>> during about one hour on a quite recent machine and installed 260MB of
>> data) but failed in the end. Here are the last lines (I haven't logged
>> everything but this could be enough) :
>>
>> > + /home/Administrateur/godi-rocketboost-20080615/run/ocamlrun-3.09.3/byterun/ocamlfatrun /home/Administrateur/godi-rocketboost-20080615/godi-tools-boot/boot_console delete -f godi-tools
>> > Warning: Package godi-tools is protected against deletion.
>> > Deleting anyway.
>> > + /home/Administrateur/godi-rocketboost-20080615/run/ocamlrun-3.09.3/byterun/ocamlfatrun /home/Administrateur/godi-rocketboost-20080615/go
>> > di-tools-boot/boot_console add /ocaml/build/packages/All/godi-tools-2.0test31.tgz
>> > + exec /ocaml/sbin/godi_console perform -tmpdir-state /tmp/godi4632-0:1
>> > Fatal error: cannot find file perform
>> > Failure!
>
> That's quite strange. I have no idea what it is, but it is harmless.
> Actually, this last command does not nothing, so GODI is installed.
>
> Can you check whether the newly installed godi_console works? A good
> test is
>
> godi_console perform -build godi-tools
>
> so it builds itself again using the new godi_console (and not the
> bootstrap version).

Well, it doesn't work :
  Administrateur@Chewbacca ~
  $ godi_console perform -build godi_tools
  Fatal error: cannot find file perform

I had some weird feeling about this so I tried strings on godi_console
and in fact...
  Administrateur@Chewbacca ~
  $ cat `which godi_console`
  #! /bin/sh
  exec /home/Administrateur/godi-rocketboost-20080615/run/ocamlrun-3.09.3/byterun/ocamlfatrun
/home/Administrateur/godi-rocketboost-20080615
  /godi-tools-boot/boot_console "$@"

I guess it failed at some point during installation but I really don't
know when. I'll try another installation on tomorrow.

>> I have time to install godi from scratch so if you need anything,
>> don't hesitate. :)
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
>> Btw, is there any chance the PATH gets automatically updated ?
>> I've installed ocaml by hand several times but I keep on forgetting this step.
>
> Well, you would need to do it in your login setup, e.g. .bashrc. The
> bootstrap script just cannot do it.
>
> What we can talk about is that stage2 is automatically called.

I think it's alright this way. I just always forget the PATH thing. I
think I'll have a tatoo or something like that, that should do the
trick.

---

Adrien Nader