From: Dario Teixeira <dario.teixeira@nleyten.com>
To: Vincent Balat <vincent.balat@vblt.org>
Cc: caml-list <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Android/iOS apps with OCaml
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2016 18:59:12 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi Vincent,

> The Ocsigen team is going to release Eliom 6 next week, which focuses
> on mobile apps. We will also release Ocsigen Start, a template with an
> example of multi platform application: a single code for both your Web
> app and mobile html5 apps (Android, iOS, Windows).

Thanks for the reply! Also good to hear about Eliom 6
finally being released... ;-)

> If you want to see an example, download the Be Sport app on Google
> Play or Apple app store and have a look at the Web app. They are all
> using Eliom 6 and Ocsigen Start.
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.besport.www.mobile
> [4]
> https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/besport/id1104216922 [5]
>
> It is not native code but the performance are good (even if we have
> some problems on iOS, Apple's webview being very buggy). And this
> technique requires to write only one code for all your apps (even with
> server side generated pages for the Web version!).

Thanks for the feedback.  I've been playing a bit with Cordova,
and so far have found no major issues on Android.  I haven't
yet tested it on iOS, but I'll keep an eye out for Webview bugs.

I've also tried the Besport app, and couldn't find anything that
would immediately give away the fact that it's actually being
rendered by a browser widget. That's good.

> Ocsigen Start will be released probably next week (we are polishing
> the documentation) but is mature enough for large applications (as you
> can see with Be Sport). We are also using the Cordova bindings by
> Danny Willems, for some features.

I'll be sure to try it out.  This really seems like the most
straightforward way for developing cross-platform mobile apps
with OCaml...

Best regards,
Dario Teixeira