* Order of evaluation when constructing record values
@ 2007-08-11 17:56 Jeff Meister
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jeff Meister @ 2007-08-11 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I ask for forgiveness in advance for this silly pedantic question.

I think my question is best illustrated with an example. Say I have
this simple record type for holding a date:

type date = { year : int; month : int; day : int; }

Now, I want to read the year/month/day values from stdin, and I know
they will appear in that order. So I do the following:

let today = {
  year = read_int ();
  month = read_int ();
  day = read_int ();
}

For this to work, I need the ints to be read in the order given, or I
could end up with a day of 2007 and a year of 11. Is there any
guarantee that OCaml will follow that order of evaluation when
constructing the record? Or do I have to force it with let-bindings
like this:

let today =
  let y = read_int () in
  let m = read_int () in
  let d = read_int () in
  { year = y; month = m; day = d; }

Of course, it's not that big a deal for me to just use the let-binding
method, but I'm curious, and it might make my code look nicer if I can
rely on order of evaluation.

* Re: Order of evaluation when constructing record values
@ 2007-08-11 18:15 ` Jeff Meister
From: Jeff Meister @ 2007-08-11 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I seem to have answered my own question by playing around. It appears
that the order of evaluation is last-to-first and based on the order
of the fields in the type declaration, not in the value construction.
Oh well. I guess it's let-bindings for me.

On 8/11/07, Jeff Meister <nanaki@gmail.com> wrote:
> I ask for forgiveness in advance for this silly pedantic question.
>
> I think my question is best illustrated with an example. Say I have
> this simple record type for holding a date:
>
> type date = { year : int; month : int; day : int; }
>
> Now, I want to read the year/month/day values from stdin, and I know
> they will appear in that order. So I do the following:
>
> let today = {
>   year = read_int ();
>   month = read_int ();
>   day = read_int ();
> }
>
> For this to work, I need the ints to be read in the order given, or I
> could end up with a day of 2007 and a year of 11. Is there any
> guarantee that OCaml will follow that order of evaluation when
> constructing the record? Or do I have to force it with let-bindings
> like this:
>
> let today =
>   let y = read_int () in
>   let m = read_int () in
>   let d = read_int () in
>   { year = y; month = m; day = d; }
>
> Of course, it's not that big a deal for me to just use the let-binding
> method, but I'm curious, and it might make my code look nicer if I can
> rely on order of evaluation.

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: Order of evaluation when constructing record values
@ 2007-08-11 22:13   ` Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2007-08-11 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Saturday 11 August 2007 19:15:21 Jeff Meister wrote:
> I seem to have answered my own question by playing around. It appears
> that the order of evaluation is last-to-first and based on the order
> of the fields in the type declaration, not in the value construction.
> Oh well. I guess it's let-bindings for me.

Evaluation order is typically unspecified in OCaml and sometimes differs
between the byte/native compilers.

OCaml for Scientists
http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/ocaml_for_scientists/?e

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: Order of evaluation when constructing record values
@ 2007-08-12  8:25   ` Till Varoquaux
From: Till Varoquaux @ 2007-08-12  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Meister; +Cc: caml-list

Even though you found the order record were assigned, I would advice
to explicitly force this order (i.e. let bindings). AFAIK the order of
evaluation for records is not specified by the specification, therefor
it could change between revisions of the compiler.

Till

--
http://till-varoquaux.blogspot.com/

* RE: [Caml-list] Order of evaluation when constructing record values
@ 2007-08-12  9:12 ` David Allsopp
From: David Allsopp @ 2007-08-12  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> For this to work, I need the ints to be read in the order given, or I
> could end up with a day of 2007 and a year of 11. Is there any
> guarantee that OCaml will follow that order of evaluation when
> constructing the record? Or do I have to force it with let-bindings
> like this:

http://caml.inria.fr/pub/docs/manual-ocaml/expr.html - although the Record
section doesn't state that the order of evaluation is unspecified, the
section on Function application does: I think it's safe to assume that the
order of evaluation for record construction is similarly unspecified and so
could, in theory, change.

> Of course, it's not that big a deal for me to just use the let-binding
> method, but I'm curious, and it might make my code look nicer if I can
> rely on order of evaluation.

Although it looks neat in this instance, in general relying on evaluation
order is risky and potentially unclear (which is one of the reasons that the
order of evaluation is left unspecified in the language specification).

> I seem to have answered my own question by playing around. It appears that
> the order of evaluation is last-to-first and based on the order of the
> fields in the type declaration, not in the value construction.
> Oh well. I guess it's let-bindings for me.

Exactly - so here, even a change in the type declaration could have broken
your code (even without a compiler change!).

See also http://tinyurl.com/ysm8te

David

* Re: [Caml-list] Order of evaluation when constructing record values
@ 2007-08-13  0:25 ` Jacques Garrigue
From: Jacques Garrigue @ 2007-08-13  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nanaki; +Cc: caml-list

From: "Jeff Meister" <nanaki@gmail.com>

> I ask for forgiveness in advance for this silly pedantic question.
>
> I think my question is best illustrated with an example. Say I have
> this simple record type for holding a date:
>
> type date = { year : int; month : int; day : int; }
>
> Now, I want to read the year/month/day values from stdin, and I know
> they will appear in that order. So I do the following:
>
> let today = {
>   year = read_int ();
>   month = read_int ();
>   day = read_int ();
> }
>
> For this to work, I need the ints to be read in the order given, or I
> could end up with a day of 2007 and a year of 11. Is there any
> guarantee that OCaml will follow that order of evaluation when
> constructing the record? Or do I have to force it with let-bindings
> like this:
>
> let today =
>   let y = read_int () in
>   let m = read_int () in
>   let d = read_int () in
>   { year = y; month = m; day = d; }
>
> Of course, it's not that big a deal for me to just use the let-binding
> method, but I'm curious, and it might make my code look nicer if I can
> rely on order of evaluation.

You definitely have to use let-bindings.
The order of evaluation without let-bindings is left unspecified in
the reference manual.
IIRC, in practice this should be right-to-left, following the
definition of the datatype (not the order in the function!), but this
does not seem a good idea to rely on that.

Jacques Garrigue